Tuesday, January 6, 2009

atypical wake

Things on the home front have been... weird.

I've seen a little bit of crying...
I only cried Sunday... all the time.

We go to my Dad's youngest sister's house and get together every day. Thats where people have been dropping by to give their condolences.
Typically, we'd be praying and whatnot, but not this time.

My aunts are taken aback by how "skinny" I am... which... clearly they're delusional. They keep asking what my "secret" is.
"Gym, Tia, that's all... also... I've been sick as hell... I usually just eat once a day, if I eat at all... that might have something to do with it."
They also hug me a lot, while saying "look!" as they wrap their arms around me, "Look how I can grab you! Look! My arms wrap completely around you and then some!" All that while others watch...
I've made it my mission to have a cupcake in hand at all times since then.

We're also laughing a lot.
?
We crack jokes, remember funny things  from the past, watch Youtube videos, get buzzed from all the tequila they have in the garage... we even play Guitar Hero.

It makes some sense to act this way, though, since most of us D's (last name) got our sense of humor from this grandpa who just passed away.
He was a freakin' riot in his earlier years. He was a mix of banter and physical comedy... he was sarcastic as well.
Now that he's gone, I'm assuming we're all putting on our best Johnny Carson's and just... making everyone else laugh.

This, of course, throws the visitors off... mainly the "traditional' ones who expect us to all be dressed in All-Black, crying, screaming, praying... looking miserable.
But they see the only screaming being done in the house is by one of us kids going 'FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU!" when we win/lose on Guitar Hero.

I've also been sick as a dog these last few days. I'm at the stage where I sound like an old lady in the mornings, and a transvestite in the evenings.
Just lovely for when I greet the guests.
My nose is running as well...
I haven't worn an ounce of makeup since Saturday night...
I look like hell... why lie?
And who cares.

Tomorrow's gonna be a very long day...

No comments: