Sunday, January 3, 2010

Come back!

So my dad stayed in Mexico after we left.

I haven't had comfortable sleep the entire time I've been back. I keep having nightmares, and I nearly freak out each time the phone rings. I'm terrified that one day we'll get a phone call asking for ransom (we've gotten one before, and it was so bizarre... also quite infuriating).
I guess while we were in Mexico, the narcos let out some sort of press release (ha! ok, whatever) saying they were now going to abduct civilians and not just public officials like the poor dude they last abducted and killed (really close to my neck of the woods in Mexico, nonetheless. Jesus).

I wasn't scared while IN Mexico... I actually sort of wanted to come back various times during 2010 to celebrate Mexico's bicentennial. I had plans, damn it!

I've said it once, and I'll say it again: this shit ANGERS me. The speed with which my little wonderland, my little piece of heaven, turned into a hell pit is astonishing. And why we let it happen is beyond me. It's like having an all-out drug war here in the U.S. with the biggest headache being found in some tiny town in... not Alaska, because it's not part of the continental U.S., but let's say Wyoming.

God, I can't wait until my dad gets back.

No comments: