Sunday, January 4, 2015

Coincidence...

I had a nice entry mapped out in my mind on Friday... nice, happy entry relating to my recent travels.
Then sad shit started happening.
I lost any and all thoughts running through my mind that were not those of concern for my friends currently hurting.

This family, my sister's best friend's family, we go back about 15 or so years.
The family is very similar to mine:
The dads have the same name.
The moms are the same age (birthdays the same week) and hail from the same part of Mexico (two towns apart).
The first born is a male, one born exactly a month before the other (my brother is the "young" one).
The middle kids are both girls with the same name.
The youngest/third kid is a girl, born on the same day, two years apart (my sister is the "older" one).
They were neighbor's/best friends with my mom's deceased, beloved brother when they lived in The Bay.

We became friends due to being in the same circle of friends when the whole Quinceañera circuit began for my brother and me (I was 13). We always bumped into each other, and I had a crush on the guy. I eventually made friends with the middle daughter, and introduced her to my little sister... the two immediately clicked.
Then my sister grew closer to the middle girl, crushed on the older brother, and I stepped aside.
The friendship/bond only grew as the years went by.

Yesterday was the 6 year anniversary of my paternal grandfather's death.
Yesterday, this family lost their maternal grandfather.

We hadn't noticed we were missing a similarity amongst the grandparents...

Coincidences make me smile... but when it's this... sad, well, it just breaks my heart.

No comments: