Tuesday, May 13, 2014

my little viking

I had one of those "quiet creeper" moments today. My infamous moments where I just quietly admire someone, usually with a mild smile on my face.

A few months ago my mom's baby brother (who also happens to be my godfather... my favorite one... the eternal bachelor) visited us in order for me to acquire a spit sample from him for that genetic test... you know, the same test the rest of my family did back in December. When we told him what was going on, he very enthusiastically agreed to get tested.
Prior to this visit, we hadn't seen him in probably a year-- this uncle is very elusive.
Our interaction was a little awkward... like one between strangers.

Fast-forward to today, when he finally had time to visit us to get his cool results (patrilineally, he is from the fringes of the North Sea... which is pretty damn unexpected).
Uncle ate dinner with us, time which was mostly spent laughing.
As the hours passed, I caught myself quietly staring at my uncle... observing him... admiring him... realizing how much I miss his face, how much love I have for that sad, sweet face.
I heard his stories... and smiled.
I loved watching his eyes shrink as he chuckled at his memories from a time that seems like an eternity ago.
I loved hearing his hearty chuckles... his voice. I love how he drags the "i" when he says "Shit."

This guy is so full of love and cheer... and all I can think of is the day he came to our house one night sobbing violently... drunk... and could only talk about how he felt everyone used him... how everyone only used him... nobody truly loved or cared for him... just saw him as something to use, something of which to take advantage and then discard... but that he still couldn't keep from loving these people, all of us.
Such violent, loud sobs.
I think of that day, which was probably some 20 years ago, and it still breaks my heart.

I hope you no longer think none of us love you... because we truly do. We love everything about you... always have, always will. Always. We love you.

When it was time to say goodbye, I hugged my uncle/godfather tightly and told him the only thing I on my mind: I love you, tio. Take care of yourself.

The loneliest, saddest people are the ones who work the hardest at making others laugh... and they usually have the most infectious, beautiful laugh.

No comments: