Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Horse shudder

Many people I know consider horses to be "dumb" animals.
I've always been fond of horses. I find horses to be noble and silly... and smart.

My summers spent in Mexico always involved camping trips to the mountains, campsites to which we traveled to on horseback.
There trips taught me to trust horses.
Horses were able to see things we could not... they would sense danger.
While the group of people would be distracted by the beauty of the scenery, or just conversation, someone would randomly have their horse buck, immediately bringing the rest of the horses to an abrupt halt.

We'd be annoyed by the halting, since our initial reaction would be to kick the horse so it'd quit being such a stubborn little jerk and just get us to our destination... but then we'd end up having to apologize to the beast when we'd spot the huge snake camouflaged in our path.
Horses are SO good at sensing danger... and they don't shy away from expressing their qualms.
Naaah, bitch! I'm not moving... there's some bad shit over there. Fuck off.
That's their attitude... you can just tell that's what they're thinking... as you feel their skin crawl underneath you... you feel and hear their shudder.


While I'm definitely not 100 percent when it comes to judging a person's character, I do have a perfect record when it comes to people I initially dislike.
Too often I've been wrong about someone I immediately like upon first meeting them... but I've never been wrong about someone I initially disliked.
I don't dislike many people... being repelled by someone upon introduction is a rare occasion for me (I'm that dummy who WANTS to believe EVERYONE is a good person with no ill will towards anyone)... but like the good ol' horses, I have a visceral reaction to it. I literally feel something inside me shudder and my gut will feel as though it's on a very uncomfortable free-fall... and I will refuse to budge on my distrust of the person. Something in my mind will quietly, but sternly say "No."
I will try to convince myself to be nice to the person... give them a chance to prove me wrong... and in doing so, my energy will drain and I will grow increasingly aggressive/resentful toward the person.

AND THEN the person in question proves me right. The fucking dirtbag will prove to me what a worthless, shiesty motherfucking piece of shit he has always been.
I will be angry about the person being a piece of human garbage, but angrier about the fact that despite every fiber of my being telling me to ditch this piece of shit before he gets to fuck me over, I ignored my read on him and allowed it to happen.

I honed this ability for a while during my poker playing days. This was probably the time where I took full advantage of my read on people and profited from it (in all reality, I wound up breaking even, completely even).
Of course, I had to stop with the poker because it was really fucking with my sleeping... and my overall attitude... since it was an all-consuming addiction... where I'd grow FURIOUS with anyone who tried to interfere with my tournament times. The price I had to pay for normalcy was losing my acute ability to read people... bad people... dishonest people.

But then days like today happen... days where I learn I still possess some of this ability. I am STILL perfect on my read on BAD people... but it doesn't feel good to know it.... because it means I STILL encounter shitty people.

My boxing "trainer" turned out to be SUCH a lying piece of shit... and I FELT it from the get-go... from the moment that fool touched my hand when I took the initiative to shake his hand in order to introduce myself. Today he helped me realize I'm still good at catching bad people... bad people like him.
I learned I need to quit ignoring my gut. While I wish everyone was awesome and I was just a judgmental, stubborn bitch... it just isn't so... people out there can be horrible rats.

I hope I never have to be correct about bad people again... it fucking sucks to encounter legitimately SHITTY humans.

No comments: