Friday, January 8, 2016

Cheesy peace offering

I can't decide whether or not I want to keep up this sleep routine... I'm somewhat enjoying it.
I go to bed no later than 8pm (last night I managed to stay awake until 9pm), and always wake up at about 5AM.
This is nice for me because on Saturdays, my days do begin at five in the morning. This makes me less of a grouch, and oddly enough, much more alert.

Anyway, I've fucked up on updating regularly because I always end up falling asleep (like a queeeeen!).
Back to business.

Yesterday afternoon my father returned from his trip to Mexico. He refused to join us in Athens for Christmas because "it's pointless, since your brother already came out here for Thanksgiving."
We mentioned how the trip was actually not on HIS dime, but paid for by his work, but Dad still thought it was a "waste of money."
Dad preferred to go off to Mexico and spend the holidays with the family of his paternal aunt's second husband... as in, a bunch of fucking strangers.
He tried "prohibiting" us from going to Europe, but Mom busted out her "I MAKE MY OWN MONEY AND SPEND IT LIKE I WANT TO SPEND IT AND YOU DON'T PROHIBIT ME FROM ANYTHING!" line, so the rest of us went to Athens to spend Christmas like a motherfucking family.
Great showcase of where each one of us have our priorities, huh?

Something I left out in my year in review was the fact that 2015 was plagued by some of the most intense fighting between my parents. Things never escalated to physical altercations, but one time my mom did utter "GO ON, FUCKING HIT ME! THAT'S ALL YOU FUCKING NEED TO DO!" while they were at work... in front of a customer... which... you know... wasn't too fucking awesome. Luckily, this served as a wakeup call for my parents to tone it the fuck down.

I hadn't seen my dad since the 12th of December... and felt guilty because I didn't miss him.
I think we all needed this break from one another. While my relationship with my siblings and my mother has been strengthened over time, I cannot say the same about my relationship with my father. 2015 made him grouchier, more... idiotic, less tolerant... it made him a LIAR for the first time ever... and it made him a potty mouth-- something he NEVER was.
He has said some of the most radical bullshit that downright frightened me... he seemed possessed.

Then I saw Daddy yesterday, and I realized "I do miss this grouchy, ignorant man."
He's much more chill.
He went to the doctor while in Mexico and they fixed him... for now. I think.
And he brought me cheese.

Hope 2016 sees this old man chill out and more tolerant.
Same goes for me.

No comments: