Sunday, February 16, 2014

La Felicidad

My happiness-- it's an accumulation of events and decisions.

1. I have health care AND dental care.
I finally feel a little bit more normal. I am that Mexican-American kid, child of immigrants, who never had health care coverage... well, once for a brief period of time in 4th grade, but other than that, I was shit out of luck.
Cut myself? Suck it up! Don't look at the injury and wait for it to heal on it's own. Stitches? Come over here, bring me the sowing kit, I'LL sow that shit up for you... what? You don't think that's a good idea? Then shut up.
Broken bones? Bitch, you know better than to fuck around with something capable of breaking a bone-- don't do it. Break a bone, heal on your own. (Never did break a bone)

Fun times, growing up.

2. I joined a legit boxing gym with my bestie.
Not only do I get to take it back to our college days by hanging out with my best homie on a regular basis, but we get to pummel the shit out of stuff. I can't begin to describe how relieving this all is for me.
I sweat so much, and get worked SO HARD, each night I drop like a sack of potatoes on my bed, more than ready for lights out. I sleep like a fucking baby.
The chill time with Kelley also gives me much needed laughs... or gossip time, because MAN, can I fucking talk shit without getting judged when I chat with her. She also gives me good advice. And if shit-talking or problem solving isn't involved, I always learn SOME sort of fact from her, and my vocabulary increases by at least two words-- new words or ones I forgot in a ten year time span.

3. Nutrition coach.
This Christmas, my sister gave me the weird gift of a nutrition coach.
Sister originally hired him for herself, but since she's quite fond of beer and ice cream, she exasperated him with her lack of discipline. Sister then told the coach about me, how she may lack discipline, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm militant about shit when I set my mind to it. SO, the coach gave Sister a two for one deal, and that's how I got myself a coach.
First thing he did? Force-fed me some carbs... lots and lots of carbs.
And I. Am. Happy.
Within three days of the twelve week program, I felt a shift in mood. I'm a fucking ray of sunshine, no lie. Life is fucking beautiful and brighter and all that shit.
The program isn't built to thin me out, it's made to build me up... which I am TOTALLY game for. Bitches always feel compelled to share their opinion of how muscle on girls is ugly, but that's not something I give a single shit about. Muscle is gorgeous. Muscle is strength. Muscle is intimidating. Muscle I WANT.
No frail little chick here, thank you very much.

The sense of happiness and serenity I feel is indescribable. It makes me go to bed with a smile on my face... a genuine, carefree, involuntary smile.
I am so much kinder to strangers, and I only really scowl maybe once or twice on my daily commutes.

Shitty things have happened and STILL happen, but it's so much easier to release the crappy stuff and move on. It's not that I'm ignoring them, I just ask myself what good the feeling does me, and I have a much easier time carrying on with my day and life (I actually had a nasty incident a few weeks back that I was going to vent about here, but I wound up falling asleep before I posted it, and so, the moment passed. It WAS hilarious, now in hindsight... maybe I'll post it some other day, when I find the photo I was going to add before knocking out).

I feel like a hippie. Am I being creepy? I'm a different girl, and it all happened over the course of like... ten days. I'm all zen and whatnot, but I still have my incredibly dirty mouth, so no, my mind wasn't hijacked or any of that shit... I'm just very happy and pleasant. It's pretty cool.

No comments: