Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Note to AnoMALIE's inner Chiquita Banana: Don't EVER do that AGAIN.


Ah, Justin Long... the Jeepers Creepers guy... the Mac Guy... the... well, cute guy.
I don't usually think of him though(not like... say, another Justin: Timberlake). The times he jumps into my head are when I see him in the Mac commercial (and I smile)... or when I see this one boy I've known since last semester (and I laugh).

Best-friend and I refer to him (talking about the school boy now) as "the Justin Long boy." I never learned his name, even though there were only 17 of us in class last semester (and at most, there would be 10 of us in there in any given day). Maybe I did... I just don't remember. (His name might start with a D... I'll call him that from now on in this story)
Why don't I remember? Because his laugh haunts me to this day. That... and well.. I did something stupid the one time he spoke to me (and that makes me want to crawl in a hole and die each time it's brought up).

First off: His Laugh.
The professor was a funny man, one of my favorites, but the class was a total bore (who gives a **** about Daphnia and... wow, I did a great job getting that out of my mind. PLANKTON!). But as always, AnoMALIE finds a guy to become fixated on and doodle about the entire semester.
One day, after the professor made fun of D, it was something really-- very funny-- and out came this... noise.
I refuse to reproduce it. But it was one of the worst, nerdiest laughs ever. No, there was no snorting involved (I tend to do that whenever I think something is REALLY funny. So the person hearing me snort should feel honored, not disgusted. HA). But the sound... it was reminiscent of... a horse sneezing after snorting some hay... repeatedly.
Dear me... why was i present to hear this?
I still hear the sound each time I see D.

Second, and most mortifying: I fucking WINKED at him!
I had never spoken to the guy, just laughed at his jokes.
This isn't strange since I'm unbelievably bashful.
What I don't understand is what led me to commit such a sleazy move.
It was the day we were all supposed to turn in our second of three research papers to the professor. Best-friend and I were the first ones to so, and D came a little late, and never saw us do it. There were only six of us in class, so the kid was definitely talking to us when he went up to the pile and said:
Did you girls already bring your reports up?
He was motioning at the stack of papers, and he made this cute eyebrow movement, like if he was going to come up and get ours.
I must have found it "too cute" cause all of a sudden I did something totally out of character:
I turned to him, smiled, and said "We sure did," then winked at him with my right eye.
(it all plays back to me in slow motion)
When I caught myself, I thought:
Who the hell do I think I am? Curse you, damn Latino blood! First you surprise me with the accent from time to time, now you make me act like... West Side Story's, Maria! Why don't I just shimmy next time?!
He looked away in what I perceive as horror, and for the rest of the semester he seemed scared of me. I scared him off!

Whenever I see him walk past me after class (he takes really long, unnatural-looking strides... sort of like an ostrich), I feel blood rushing to my cheeks... out of pure embarrassment.
Was it the damn wink?!

See what you do, Chiquita Banana! You scared off Justin Long!

1 comment:

Kelley Karas said...

To be honest, the retelling of the wink made me laugh harder than I have in about a month.