Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Oh Lent, why must you pain me this way?

Today marks the first day of Lent.

Needless to say, I was a little bit neurotic. I mean, who wouldn't be after 19 hours of not ingesting anything but a sip of water and a vitamin? Add to that the longest school day, and you get... well, a very neurotic AnoMALIE.

However, I can't complain about lent this year as much as I did last. It couldn't suck nearly as much as it did last year. Why? Because Ash Wednesday fell on my 21st birthday. That has been the only day I've ever wished I was born a pagan.
Instead of drinking the rounds and partying till sunup (I didn't even have class the following day!), I fasted (yey, hooray!), went to a super packed Mass, then went to bed. No cake, no drinking, no nothing (but then again, the birthday before that I happened to go watch:
with my family. The entire time I kept thinking: Happy Birthday to Me... as I watched two gangster in front of me bawl their eyes out).
So yeah, the only thing I can really be upset about this time is feeling crappy the entire time while in class, at times almost being driven to tears because I'm... well... neurotic (when malnourished!). I didn't even go to church this year (mainly because I had class during the times mass was available), I just got the little ash cross printed on my forehead because my mom couldn't stand the thought of her little AnoMALIE not getting some sort of blessing.
As a way to amend that bad move, I've decided that this year I'm SERIOUSLY giving up cussing. On the real. I do that far too often... to the point where I sometimes don't even know I'm dropping the F-bomb around children under 5. I'm like that one cartoon character on Tiny Tune Adventures (Fowlmouth) that had to be bleeped ever few seconds.
The only times I can now control myself is when I'm in a group where there's a really fundamentalist Christian... or Mormon (I've never been able to cuss around them comfortably) present. Only they can control my potty mouth because I fear making them feel bad (screw the children! j/k).
Aside from that, I also decided to stop gossiping. I find it easier since there are only certain people that bring that characteristic out in me. I'm just going to have to avoid those people for the next 40 days, then after that I think this whole... gossip problem will be resolved (or you know, lessened in degree).
Sadly, the potty-mouth AnoMALIE will be no more... except in my short stories, cause ain't nothing getting rid of that!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That movie was soooo sad but it really reminds you of the sacrifice that was made for us.