Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lindo y Querido

Deportation... that would have sucked... had I not been born in the US (segue-way master, huh?).
Still, I love my beautiful Mexico.

This will be my first year in ten years not spending my summer (or part of it) in Mexico, the 5th time of my entire life.
I've had my moments of weakness when I think I can go out there for at least two weeks... but then the more reasonable part of my brain jumps in and slaps me back to reality- it's horribly dangerous out there (Why, DGO? WHY?! Once BBC talks about it, you know it's no joke), no one is going, and I no longer have much of a reason to be out there.
Plus, my diversion for boring days/afternoons while out there is now out of the question. Playing Guitar Hero (as has been the case for the last 2 Mexico summers) is a bad idea because, to this day, I can't play without crying. No, not out of desperation. We all know I kick major ass at the guitar (gold-starring on expert. Get on my level, sucka!), I could also be part of a Nirvana/Coldplay cover band if need be (notice I didn't mention a chick band. My voice is a sad, sad situation... I perfect Kurt Cobain's range by just using my talking voice... it makes me laugh but feel sad at the same time), but I cry 'cause I can't stop thinking about how much the damn game irritated my grandma.

So no... NO Mexico.

However, my heart will be 100% Mexican this summer... because of that magical time in one's life that comes up ever four years, better known as: The World Cup!
I'm stoked for the games, even if they'll be at a freakishly early hour (for me, 5-7AM is ungodly considering I usually go to bed at 3AM), and yes, like any good Mexican, my hopes are high.

But I must admit: my hopes might be a little TOO high.
I realized this fault of mine after the recent Mexico - England game.
A week ago, I completed my fantasy bracket and placed Mexico... in the semi-finals (after defeating England in the quarter final match)!
I know... I know... what the fuck was I thinking... but like I said, I had high hopes. They have a tremendous squad... and that might have been the culprit behind this example of momentary insanity. Mexico's U-17 world championship back in '05 makes me trust these young kids like crazy... however, it's just... man, when playing with the big dogs... it becomes a wreck!

So I'm a realist: Spain's my rooster.

Honorable mention goes to Portugal... because they're the reason I'll be getting up early... because they have the most beautiful, albeit sluttiest, man in the universe... that I liked before he was so popular... you know, back in '04 when he cried more than a new born child.
Biggest disappointment? Brazil... for not calling on Ronaldinho.
Team I hate? FRANCE. Fuck those cheating mother fuckers (all this considering I'm not Irish).

I promise never to make any more brackets again... well, at least brackets that contain the Mexican soccer team, we all know I think with my heart when those guys are involved... and like in real life, those boys ALWAYS break my heart!

No comments: