Monday, May 31, 2010

My kind of anniversary

Today marks my three year anniversary with the local gym.
It wasn't an easy task to accomplish-- joining the gym, that is-- and it took a fucking village to convince me (the "Goddamn, I HATE Mammalian Physiology!" crew).
Ha!
It's not that I thought I looked good... God, no! Anyone who knows me knows how low my self-esteem really is. I just couldn't build enough nerve to actually get my ass in a gym.
I mean, have you seen how much spandex is in there?!
But of course, like with anything in my life, tell me a hot guy is involved, and I'll be game.

I joined the gym, sat in the back of class, and damn near keeled over each time the hot instructors came anywhere near me.
I took classes that made me barf half-way through them, others that made me bruise up like I survived a severe drop off a cliff (oh, you silly hoola-hoop class!), and others that gave me horrible views up the shorts of dudes who decided to free-ball it to the gym (yeah, it's yoga... but you can't possibly expect me to be cool with the spectacularly shameless view you're giving me of your scrotum. Do us all a favor, and give your testicles some support, dude!).

Three years later, I still sit in the back of class (bitches know better than to take my spot, ha!), and I still almost pass out each time the hot instructors make eye-contact (not the smartest thing when my ankles are at risk), but hey! I'm part of the spandex crew now!
I'm friends with a good number of trainers, even having that one experience with the Hot Hot Trainer befriending me because I could make him laugh... that was interesting.
I lift heavier than the majority of girls, which makes me smile... but even creepier is when I'm lifting heavier than dudes... which makes me laugh.
I am by no means close to what I want to look like, I mean, I still have cheeks like those of a chipmunk preparing for a long winter:
but at least I no longer have the chins of a bear preparing for winter:

(Jesus... I see that and I still want to cry)

So, thank you very much, gym, you make me happy.
(and so help me God if I go back to looking like I'm ready for some hardcore hibernation... I'm ok with looking like I have a couple of nuts in my mouth--wah! wah!-- but NOT the double chin)

No comments: