Saturday, January 4, 2014

As long as I can come back

For a few months, I looked into moving out to San Miguel. It wasn't my original idea, the idea sprung from my "mentor" (that's what I'll call him now, since he knows his shit and he really is doing his best to help me out). From what I had read, it seemed like it was going to be an incredible place to relocate. Apparently, the place is pretty much run by American expats.
While I DID find the place charming... it didn't make my heart bounce. It didn't inspire the same excitement a place like... say, Barcelona, manages to build. I was disappointed by my inability to feel excited for San Miguel.
I made up my mind that while I was appreciative of my mentor's intent, I would have to turn down relocating to San Miguel.

Then I visited Guanajuato.
That. Place. Is. STUNNING.
I've heard of the place in songs and seen some Mexican novelas take place in this city... but dear god, I was not prepared for what I saw.
They have mummies, enormous buildings, historical sites that give me goosebumps, beautiful culture... art... the colors... the flora... UNDERGROUND ROADS!
The place is the fucking shit.

I hated the thought of moving out to San Miguel, but I compromised to move to Guanajuato for a couple of months... three months tops. When? I'm not sure... but I'm positive I'll give the place a shot for a few weeks... to at least LEARN something, ANYTHING, about art... ANY art... even if it's fucking welding!

Did I feel like my "soul belongs here"? No. Not at all. What I did feel was like my soul... thought it was cool... like I can learn a thing or two... as long as I'm promised a way out of it once I start yearning for my hometown too hard.

Hmmm... I guess it was a slight disappointment.

No comments: