Monday, January 6, 2014

Just so happy

During this vacation, we had a very limited number of hours to spend as a complete family.
My parents showed up Friday morning, the wedding took place all of Saturday, and Sunday we had to drive D to the airport at 10 in the morning.

Friday the 27th was the best day we've had in a very long time.
We spent a good five hours in the car (total), and for the first time--possibly EVER-- we did not fight. We laughed... and laughed... and cried.
We reminisced about our toddler days... we talked about the future... and then, finally, once Mom was too overcome with a weird combination of joy and sorrow, she started to cry. Rafa was driving, Dad was co-pilot, and Mom was sitting between D and I in the back of the MitsubishiWhatever that my folks rented.
"You're crying?" Rafa asked, mimicking a toddler's voice.
"Yes..." Mom said.
"Aww... don't cry... this is a great moment... we're all together having a laugh... in Mexico!" I said.
"I'm just... so happy," said Mom.
And so, there we were, driving down a quiet Mexican road... all five of us shedding some tears.

I don't know if this is normal... I don't know if every family is this... close... but mine is.
We have INTENSE fights... we're always screaming... we're always threatening one another... and did I mention we're ALWAYS screaming?
But good God, separate us, and we turn into sad motherfuckers. What's worse is that we don't notice just how SAD we are until we are once again reunited.
"Savor the moment. Savor THIS moment!" was all I could think, it was all that was in my mind.

I'll always have that car ride burned in my memory... it has become one of my favorites.

No comments: