Monday, December 31, 2007

End of the year awards, season 1

Last day of the year, so I might as well type up some sort of end-of-the-year list.

I'll do it on the best and worst of 2007:

Best of AnoMALIE's 2007:
1) I joined a gym.
(Not only that, but I stuck with it. I'm now an addict of weight lifting, squats, lunges, and feeling the burn on my triceps. I like yoga... but I still giggle a bit at the thought that I'm supposed to feel something other than... a good stretch. I'll never be a good yogi. I also like the kickboxing classes, but I decided to go easy on that for a while because I could have sworn I'm going deaf[er] with that loud ass techno music blaring for an hour and a twenty minutes. I have FutureDentist Friend and Chase to thank for my membership... they peer pressured me long enough for me to finally say "Fuck it, let's do this thing!" My eternal thanks to them. I'm a new person thanks to them... a new, endorphin-addicted person, thanks ladies!)
2) I graduated.
(This one encompasses everything that came along with it. I left UNLV. I left Biology. I get to relax. Yeeeah! I proved a ton of bastards wrong by not getting pregnant, not dropping out, not becoming an alcoholic [am I turning into one now that school's out? Nah. I just drank for a week, but I quit that shit], and just sticking to my guns and completing what I set out to do. Don't ever tell me I can't do something... I'll prove you wrong then dig your fucking bigoted nose in your own shit. :) I also received the most amazing graduation present ever... thinking I wasn't going to get it when I asked. I'll visit London and Madrid... Manchester and Bilbao... shit, I might even get to travel to my family's home town of Malaga. I'll finally see Manchester play live... and I'll get to scream my heart out at Cristiano Ronaldo. I'm stoked... I feel better than I would have felt if my parents would have actually given me that pony I asked for back when I was 6... it's an unbelievable feeling. Things are finally going a little bit my way. I finally get to take a breather... and live for once without the worry of having to get the grades in school. Let us hope I don't go crazy not knowing what to do with myself now that I don't have school to stress me out)

And as hard as I may try... those are the only two things I can think of that were positives in the year 2007.

Worst of AnoMALIE's 2007:
1) My family stumbled upon a gold mine.
(I won't go into details about this... as it makes me uncomfortable. People would think getting bank, the crazy amount we got as well as the crazy way in which we acquired it, would be nothing but good news. Not so. Biggie Smalls had a point when he said "More money, more problems." The manner in which people turn on you, and how quick it all happens, is astounding.)
2) My maternal grandfather died.
(I understand people die. I understand he lived a long, fruitful life with his 86 years... however... so much was left unsaid. I never apologized... I never asked for an explanation... and the scars remain. I didn't think his death would affect me in the manner it did... I thought everything would be solved with his death... I hated him so much, I thought I'd stop hating and be released of feeling anything once he died. But the opposite occurred. I became discombobulated. I cried too much. It was too much work to get up in the mornings sometimes. The remorse wouldn't let me smile. Shit... to this day, sometimes the remorse attacks me out of the blue. I hate him. I love him. I miss him. I feel relief of some sort knowing I won't have to fake respect for him when I go to Mexico. Relief in knowing I won't hear another embarassing story of what he's been up to since I last saw him. And then I feel bad about feeling like that. However, the damage is done... and I have to learn to live with it... make do with what I have. Fuck. Grow up, AnoMALIE.)
3) My father was diagnosed and treated for colon cancer.
(I spent months cheering my mom up after her dad died. Once Dad was told he had cancer... I freaked... and I could tell Mom became worried for us. I don't want them to lose their father too. It was tough being strong for Dad... acting like I wasn't worried and telling others they were stupid for ever being worried about anything going wrong. I hated being the one taking him to his appointments... and then putting on a front about "Oh! That's great!! You're going to be fine!" each time the doctors would say something that would worry the shit out of me. I hated holding my tongue around my brother. I hated keeping Dad's problem a secret from Older Brother. It was a hassle to go around telling everyone to please be quiet about my Dad so that Older Brother wouldn't find out.
Once Dad was operated, a new problem arose. The flocks of people... my Dad's complaining... his HORRIBLE case of paranoia. Geeze, I'm still dealing with it now.
And seriously, while I love God and Jesus and I'm comfortable [FINALLY] with my religion, I don't want to be lectured on any of the above for the next twenty years!! PLEASE!! Please, if you're going to mention thanking Jesus/God for my father being fixed, PLEASE go through the trouble of praying for, and thanking, the surgeon who fixed my father. If it weren't for that man, I probably would have driven to San Fransisco and jumped off the fucking bridge... or kept it even closer and just driving to Hoover Damn and jumping to my death. That man was so patient and explained things so calmly, I'll be indebted to him for life. "Gracias a Dios!" Yes, thanks be to God... but also for the man who did the dirty job of cutting Dad open correctly)


While there were plenty of honorable mentions for Best/Worst things that occurred this year, that's all I care to write about, really.

I think this year ranks in my top 5 for WORST EVER. Right up there with the year I found out Altar Boy impregnated that whore in 2001, and that one year where I seemed to be my "best friends" punching bag back in 1994.

May 2008 be one of the most amazing ever.
Resolutions (if any) tomorrow.

Happy New Year's Eve!

1 comment:

Native Minnow said...

2007 = One of the worst ever

Hopefully 2008 = Best Ever