Thursday, April 19, 2012

NoEmily

I've decided I'm going to FORCE myself to update... before I forget everything.
I'm sitting my ass down in front of the laptop, not opening any other website, and I'm jotting shit down.
Words are bound to flood my mind, right?

Many things occurred during this trip. Many, many, many things.
I originally thought I'd have time to update my blog at least once while in Costa Rica... but I still packed my handy paper journal. I lugged that fucking journal all over the place. No lie.
I connected to the internet TWICE: once to inform D we had made it to CR safely, and the second time to inform her we were heading back... and also to add my new friends on FB.
There was no time to snoop around my friends' pages, and especially no time to update the blog.
I heavily relied on the old school paper journal.

All good... except when EVERYONE caught me writing in it... and I had to explain myself.
Why the fuck does this always happen to me? Can't I just write down my thoughts without getting interrogated? What is this? North Korea?
I had to live with the fact that some of the people would want to know what I wrote about for the day. Oh well.

Anyway, I had to rely on the paper journal because I spent a great deal of my time driving through different states, and camping out. I actually managed to hit 6 of the 7 "provinces" aka states.
So fucking fun! No time for the internet... fuck that shit (or changing... I basically mixed-and-matched the same 2 looks. Whatevs)!

Here's where I stumble: I don't know whether to summarize the entire trip in one post, or go day by day, or go topic by topic. It's pretty overwhelming.
There was action, there were religious arguments, there were "revelations," parties, deaths... it was insane.

Let's go topic by topic... ? For now, I guess.

Kindness.
Let's start with that.

The degree to which Costa Ricans take kindness is astonishing... a little frightening.
Dude... I now understand how those fucking Spanish conquistadors eradicated the poor native americans... you gave and gave and gave until they fucking killed you from all of the advantage they took.
HUGE difference between Europeans. Europeans are dicks. Shiiiit, Northern Mexicans are dicks. Well... more like... overly cautious.
Costa Ricans... they're... I'm at a loss when it comes to trying to describe their generosity and warmth.

We stayed with the family of one of Dad's best friends. They had never met us... yet, when we arrived, they were SO welcoming... they acted as if we were long lost SIBLINGS.
I was reduced to tears (as well as my parents) when, in the middle of our cafe con leche dinner, a mariachi serenade interrupted us.
The family brought us a MARIACHI band! So unexpected.
Is this really happening??? I thought this shit only happened in movies! WHOAAAA!

Even traffic was courteous! The traffic sucks balls in the big cities, and while they have to drive aggressively, they fix the issue by honking in a particular fashion (as if the car is saying "MyBad!") where everyone's fine and dandy.
Other families also gave us food and shelter without second thoughts. They were humble homes... with tin roofs and one tiny bathroom... but it was more than enough for us. The quickness with which they allowed us in their home warmed my heart... and made me feel like an asshole... because I'd NEVER be so welcoming to strangers. I need to work on that.

Then there's Valery-- the shy five year old of the household.
She worked SO hard at winning me over.
Everyone knows I don't dig kids. I mean, I don't HATE kids, but I keep my distance. I let them do their thing, preferably WITHOUT me.
But Valery would not take my silence for an answer.
She would stand right next to me at all times, and stare at my hand.
I know admitting this makes me a cunt, but: I knew she wanted to hold my hand, but I'd purposely act as if I didn't know. I'd walk away.
Why would I do this? Well... because I didn't want to get attached. The moment I hold your hand is the moment I admit I care for you. It's the moment I let you into my heart. This kid lives in Costa Rica... when will I ever see her again? I don't want to hand another piece of my heart to someone in a foreign country, that shit is difficult to live with (I've had to learn to split my heart between my family here in the States and my family left in Mexico. I've had to part ways with my Mexico side every single year, and live yearning for the day I see them again. That shit sucks! Then they die... and the world comes to a screeching halt)... so I keep clammed up.
But little Valery did not accept that. She hustled me. And I fell.
Like trying to catch a butterfly...
She was so patient, so diligent... it was impossible to keep ignoring her.
...she sat there, patiently waiting for me
The moment I let her take my hand (she slyly kissed my arm when I wasn't looking. I quickly turned around to look down at her, and she only looked up with a smile on her face. That shit melted the HELL out of my heart. I wanted to cry. How can someone like a stranger [me] so much?) was the moment I went back in time, and I was freed. I was a kid again.
Her first words for me?
Why are you always smiling?
Me: I don't know... that's just the way I am. I'm really happy.
She started smiling with her teeth showing after asking me about MY smile.
I ran around with her (no, really, I ran around with her. She led me through a flower labyrinth... and I immediately thought of The Secret Garden... my head was spinning with nostalgia. I was transported to 3rd grade, a happy eight year old running hand in hand with a five year old. Crazy shit),
the determination on her face cracks me up. Kid was on a mission.
I drew with her,
Her goodbye letter to me (her sis Emily helped).
Inside she drew two girls holding hands, with the initials "T.Q.M.A" = Te quiero mucho, amiga (I love you, friend)
we chatted about the Jonas brothers (both agreed Nick is the cutest) and Zac Efron (I don't care if he's younger than I am, kid's fucking hot),
we sang together,
she mimicked me,
This one squeezes my heart. Both girls were great!
she admired me (the way she'd look at me was... strange. I've never seen someone... adore me like that)...
I gave them my mystery-flavored Stride gum and they made their pops photograph them holding the wrappers.
How fucking cute is that?!
I was her bestie, she was mine.
She never let me go... I was her property (she'd glare at her sister each time she'd try and get close to me. It was straight Nature/NatGeo shit going on. Endearing, but kinda scary).
Momentarily separated, but the camera caught the moment she was making a bee-line for my hand.
On Friday, she asked her Mom if it was possible for her to take me to her school on Monday.
ValsMom: Ay, honey, she won't be here by then.
Val: Oh. Well... it would have been fun...
Don't make me cry, you little midget! :(

On Saturday, I caught her staring up at me as I held her hand.
Val: Hehehehe... it looks like... you're my mom... :)
Me: ... :(
Cut it out! you're crushing my heart!

The oddest thing was that she'd amalgamated her sister's name with mine... and she'd often call me "NoEmily." That shit freaked me out.
How the fuck... no way! What's going on here?!

She made my stay so refreshing... and happy... and carefree.
As corny as this may sound: with the help of her sweet little hand, she gently managed to pull me out of the dark depths of my depression... and onward towards the light.

Before heading out to Costa Rica, Dad's BFF's wife was adamant about us going. She harped on the trip serving a greater purpose... she claimed it was going to change our lives.
She's psychic. She has premonitions that... are pretty fucking scary... and she totally got this one right.
...

I'll get to that lady and her premonitions tomorrow. I have a story to tell when it comes to her.

No comments: