Saturday, April 21, 2012

Seven Red

Everyone in my family has had their fortune told... everyone but me.
I always joke that it's one of my life's goals to get a psychic reading... because I've never had the "luck" to have some random fortune teller approach me and ask to read me.
I'm eager to get read because I don't believe psychics are real... even if I do experience those weird psychic moments, as do the females in my maternal side of the family... but it's not like we know how to zero in on shit... it's just random spurts of... psychic shit.

At Dad's church, there's a lady known for her premonition... her "revelations."
Teresita.
I had never met her, but Dad and Mom are constantly having Teresita "reveal" shit for them.
Mom had described her as "simple" to me.
Me: Is she spot on with her "revelations?"
Mom: Yeah... I guess... she says shit to me that no one else knows, if that's what you mean.

She's the lady who a few years back left an eerie message on our answering machine when we drove out to Mexico. The message was her telling us "the danger is not in your hometown, it's on the way there... not in the mountains, but where the road is straight and narrow." That shit sent chills down our spine once we returned... because we knew just what she was talking about. That road is right after the border south of Arizona, spot we had to avoid because the computer system was down that day, and we wound up driving all the way out to El Paso to cross the border.
Bizarre, scary shit I tell you.

Anyway, Teresita is married to the guy with Costa Rican family.
Teresita and her hubby are Salvadorians who had to leave their country the moment the civil war broke out... they're the people who have devastating stories of death and destruction.
Teresita headed North, to the US, while her hubby went south, to Costa Rica.

OK, so these two wanted us very badly to visit Costa Rica. Teresita kept telling Mom that whole thing about the trip "serving a larger purpose."
Yeah, OK, sure, you weirdo.
I encouraged my folks to go because I REALLY wanted to experience Costa Rica, Mom was reluctant because she didn't want to spend an entire week with "Simple" Teresita.
I also kinda held on to the thought that maybe Teresita would go all weird on me and "read" me. Not gonna lie.
I won that battle... the visit Costa Rica battle.

The moment we stepped foot out of the airport I realized what Mom meant by "simple."
Teresita is... not all there.
Woman was STRANGE!
I immediately speculated she suffered some form of autism... or something of that nature. She repeated herself... she talked like... a subservient slave or something of that nature. She'd refuse to hold eye-contact, and she bowed a lot... kind of behaved like a traumatized puppy or something... an abused animal.
I'd feel sorry for her most of the time... because... she was just SO SIMPLE MINDED. Then I'd get frustrated with her, because she would NEVER shut up. She would either act like a know-it-all or she'd be wheedling the shit out of us... or she'd be trying to convert me or Mom (probably an entry dedicated to this shit in the future. This definitely frustrated THE FUCK out of me).
Can I just sit here and enjoy the view in complete silence for one motherfucking second?! SHIT!
I spent Tuesday through Thursday frustrated as fuck with her. It was like dealing with an eight year old with severe ADD.
I'd bite my tongue and listen to her because she told me her story, and I quickly found out she really DOES have the mind of an eight year old because she has a severe form of PTSD due to her experience with the Salvadorian Civil War. One day she just opened up about it and told me how she witnessed her friends get decapitated in front of her, how she'd hide in the tin roofs as she'd hear gunfire go back and forth, how she was separated from her family, and how she ultimately got rescued by a priest who sent her to the US. It was a TERRIBLY heart-breaking story... which... I mean, I completely understand why she's so mindfucked now, anybody would be. She was also physically abused by her father up until he left the family shortly prior to the war. This was noticeable because she'd get very upset at the slightest indication of aggression.
Poor lady, can't be mad at her arrested development... I just gotta love this poor little thing.

Fast-forward to Friday afternoon, our beach day.
Everyone was doing their own thing this day.
The men were out fishing, the kids were out playing in the ocean, and the girls were posing for photos on the shore... well, all but me, I was busy lounging around and being a bum... or just people watching.

At one point, I was finally tired of sitting around and I decided to walk on the shore, collecting seashells.
I was squatted down near a nice batch of shells, picking the "pretty" ones, when out of the blue, Teresita approaches me from behind and begins talking sternly to me... in a voice I had never heard before.
This were her exact words (I whipped out my journal the moment she left my side. I wrote it all down so I wouldn't forget):
"Usted tiene que colectar solo las conchas rojas. Así, medio rositas, como esta. Son para la salud y juventud. Para el corazón. 
A usted le tienen mucha envidia... los mas apegados a usted. De allí la han lastimado mas. Digo, son buenas personas, pero con usted no se... como que... pues, le tienen mucha envidia y la lastiman. Y por eso usted es así, callada, no dejas que se acerquen a ti. Usted es un ángel. Usted bendice a la gente... pero a veces bendice mal. No deje que la obscuridad le gane. Siete! Tiene que colectar siete piedras. Venga, yo la ayudo. Tome las siete piedras y pongalas en su cuarto. Le darán... paz, se abrirá mas a la gente.  
(she looks at my hand to see what shells I had been collecting)
"No, no, de esas piedras no.
(I had a brown and white shell in my hand, which she immediately shook out of my hand)
"Usted escoge mal, necesita ayuda para tomar decisiones. Solo escoja de estas. Las rojitas. Siete. Solo así será libre."

As she spoke, my heart raced. I couldn't speak. I was frozen.
Holy shit... I've waited for this all my life and here I am unable to ask questions... scared like some stupid little girl. How the fuck does she know this? Can she read my mind or something? Is she reading my mind right now? Shiiiit!
There I was, frozen in a squat on the beach, my hands in hers, as I held the rocks she had picked out.
She held her hands over mine, and said some weird prayer.
"There," she said... and walked away, aimlessly.
Holy. Shit.
I didn't move for about thirty seconds... totally confused over that random hit-n-run reading.

What did she say? She said "You have to collect ONLY the red shells. The red shells that are sort of pinkish, like this one. They're for health and youth. For the heart. They're very jealous of you, those closest to you. That's where they've hurt you the most. I mean, they're good people, but with you they're... I don't know... they're... well, they're very envious of you and they hurt you because of it. That's why you're the way you are-- quiet-- you don't let others get close to you. You're an angel. You bless people... but sometimes you bless incorrectly. Don't let the darkness win. Seven! You have to collect seven pebbles. Here, I'll help you. Take the seven pebbles and put them in your room. They'll give you... peace, you'll become more open to others. No, no, don't get THOSE kind of pebbles. You choose incorrectly, you need help when it comes to making decisions. Only choose these. The red ones. Seven. That's the only way you'll be freed."

It was absolutely terrifying. I wanted to cry.

It was the only "revelation" she had when it came to me... it was the only time I saw her get into that weird trance thing, but it was all I needed to realize this woman is legit.
Good ol' Pocahontas...
Teresita also had this eerie relationship with animals. They wouldn't fear her.
I don't know... maybe it's easier to use "simple" mind to express divine messages or whatever the heck that was... but dude... it was real.

Don't let the darkness get me...
Fuckin' A, dude...

Those shells/pebbles are sitting front-and-center in my room.

No comments: