Sunday, May 12, 2013

Averting Disaster

I spent Mother's Day weekend diffusing a bomb.

Mexican Mother's Day was Friday, and that day went rather smoothly.
Then yesterday happened.

First off, my day went to shit since the dress alterations went to round two, and took much longer than expected. I cannot complain of this, however, since I was only charged 15 bucks for the fixing of the garbage I was originally handed.
(I did cry a little in my tailor's bathroom... since I went in there about ten times to try on the dress each time he altered it. Thanks to this blog, I've come to realize I do a lot of crying in bathrooms... that should be my fucking M.O.)
In hopes of forgetting the frustrating business that is dress alterations, we decided to go visit my mother's sister.
This was the bomb.
Her eldest son and she were arguing... fiercely-- tears and snot all over the place.
It was the most awkward entrance I've ever made.
Rather than sit in the kitchen and witness any more barbaric, irrational behavior (I can hardly stand my own, much less other people's), I walked outside and played with the poor dog who was equally confused as I.
I allowed Mom to stay inside and add her voice to the chaotic scene.

After perhaps half an hour, the son left, and we remained with my aunt.
This was where the diffusing began.
While things appeared to have calmed, my aunt remained... irrational. She had made her son believe she was cool, but in reality, she was planning to remain... harboring resentment.

I worked my empathy magic... and left feeling rather proud of myself, thinking I had solved a very uncomfortable problem.

Then today happens.
Auntie wouldn't answer her phone or texts.
Mom and I had two options: remain equally petty, or talk some fucking sense into her.
And so, after some gentle, silly coaxing, she came around.

This is how Mother's Day 2013 was NOT ruined.
Yup.

No comments: