Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I have one, too!

I had time to eat dinner with my folks today. Since we have one of those stupid homes where the living room and kitchen have no wall between them, we can watch television while we eat.
My folks just love their Univision... so I'll be eating some... hmm... what do I eat? Soup? Ok, I'll be eating soup, and next thing you know, Jorge Ramos will interrupt my comfortable situation with his evening news by showing me a couple of Mara Salvatrucha cholos dismembered in the streets of San Salvador.

Well, today Mr. Ramos didn't have time to ruin my dinner (although I do enjoy seeing him... he's a hottie even with his 49 years of age) because I ate later than usual. All they were talking about were celebrities by the time I sat down to eat.
That's when Jennifer Peña came on the television, and I then had this wonderful exchange with Dad:

Dad: Mira, mija, esa es la muchacha que me recuerda tanto a ti (Look, sweetie, that's the girl that reminds me so much of you).
Me: Jennifer Peña?
Dad: Esa mera! (that one, exactly)
Me: Sera en lo getona (Must be in the big mouth).
Dad: No... she looks a lot like you.
(I stare some more at the television as Jennifer's music video plays)
Me: Dad.. if it's because of the booty shorts, I swear I'll never wear them around the house again.
(Dad laughs)
Me: And don't you go around telling truckers you have a daughter that looks like Jennifer Peña... don't give them high expectations like that!*


I see no resemblance with the chick... maybe just, how I told Dad, in the enormous mouth... but I definitely have thicker eyebrows... and my eyes aren't that small... and I'm like six inches taller... and I wish I had her jaw-line (and I wouldn't mind having that nose, either)! No need to mention the desire to have a crazy ass six-pack like she does.
This also creeps me out coming from my dad. The girl's a total sex-pot... shaking her can in her booty shorts/underwear/wet apparel. Daddy... what the hell? Why can't you say I look like some classic lady (I don't mean to put down good ol' Jennifer Peña. Shit, if I had that body, you better believe I would have been exhibiting it by now)? A lady that goes around with more than half her body fully clothed, maybe.
It's like if I told my dad that in his younger years, he reminded me of Leonardo DiCaprio in "The Beach."

...Well... at least he didn't say someone like... ok, let's not get on that subject.

*Once, when this Indian trucker (because my folks work with truckers) told my mom that my little sister looked like Shakira. Mom's reply was: "I don't just have one, but TWO daughters prettier than Shakira." To say that her comment pissed me off would be an understatement. It's one thing to hold your kids in high esteem and think they're beautiful... but when you exaggerate that badly, it's just a vile LIE! Punishable by law, if it were up to me.

4 comments:

Kelley Karas said...

Hehehe... I find it funny that our dopplegangers are both singers..

AnoMALIE said...

I think it's the high heavens telling us we have no business in Biology. We're supposed to be rock stars... in our respective first-languages... j/k

Native Minnow said...

If it helps you feel better, my doppelganger is none other than Bill Clinton (but you already knew that, didn't you?).

AnoMALIE said...

You know... now that you mention it...
It's all making sense to me now!
I've always had a little crush on Clinton (it's kind of shameful admitting a crush on Clinton. I was like... 15 when he went out of office; and it was thanks to his Monica scandal that I learned it was not torture to stick a cigar... yeah, that whole drama)!
I was even a little excited to see he was going to be on Rachael Ray today...