Monday, July 2, 2007

Mexico fever level: Orange.

For the first time in seven years, I woke up on the second day of July and I was still in Vegas.
:(
This time last year we were speeding down some highway in Chihuahua staring at all the cow carcasses by the side of the road (you can see them at all levels of decomposition. My personal favorite is when they're all bones, but there's still some skin on them. I hate it when they're fresh and you can tell worms are eating them from the inside because they're all bloated and smelly).
We'd also just had a huge argument with the people in charge of giving us car permits at the border... them and their stupid idea of having us travel back to Vegas just so Mom could bring her wedding certificate. Fucking jackasses.
Note to the wise: Don't ever cross the border the day of Mexican Presidential elections... it's all crazy and the people working government jobs try and act like they're not corrupt, and in turn, they just become bitches to U.S. citizens.

Anyway, instead of being on the road and daydreaming about being lazy in Mexico and playing volleyball until my joints hurt, I'm sitting at home... doing what else? Writhing in pain and throwing up.
Yes. I have a wonderful life... and a fucking terrific gag reflex (what the fuck is up with me throwing up so much? The eating disorder that had my ass in check back in the day was anorexia, never bulimia... I shouldn't be doing this).

However... in less than 20 days (shit, I hope, I hope, I hope!! School better not get in my way. Fucking grad pack) I'll be a happy camper... doing all this in Mexico:

1) Watching lightning storms (from a safe distance, of course, and preferably under a roof where no metal is near).
2) Listening to roosters in the morning (Mexican roosters never annoy me as much as U.S. roosters do)
3) Running in the rain (when there isn't lightning or thunder. Thunder frightens the shit out of me)
4) Swimming in rivers/oligotrophic baby lakes (so much fun... as long as there aren't tadpoles in there. Those bitches scare me)
5) Hiking! (you know, in dangerous cow trails that can possibly get me killed... because I'm stupid like that)
6) Shooting at empty soda bottles... only to complain about how loud the guns are (yeah, I'm a wimp like that)
7) Climbing trees (as long as there aren't ants crawling all over the place. What a way to ruin the fun)
8) Riding horses! (Horses!!!)
9) Sitting outside after a rain storm late at night... with the smell of wet dirt, no mosquitos in sight, and the sky clearing up to reveal the bright stars Vegas would never permit me to see (::sigh:: man... I miss this so bad)
10) The Full Moon Ritual... (we are part Native. We do our thing... although we just sort of invented it out of boredom)
11) Walking the Plaza at night in the nearby town... raspado in hand... checking out the scene (because rarely do I check out the guys... they're all younger than man... and if that's not it, they're shorter than me... or dumber than me-- and that my friends, is pretty hard to out-do me on, my stupidity).
12) Playing:
A)Volleyball! (Man... Oh man! Take me there! Now!)
B) Hide-and-go-seek in the dark with the other young adults (haha. There are about four kids under 14 though, so it's not that bad)
C) Tag with those same young adults (and 14-year-olds)
13) Treating a group of 7 to a bomb ass Mexican dinner for only 25 bucks (that always astonishes me).
14) Watching Mexican television (this is more of a guilty pleasure, since I tend to miss most of the television action cause I'm out and about at the nearby towns grocery shopping... or visiting my dentist... or eating. I really only watch the 11 AM-2 PM programing)
15) No Internet!! (Unless I travel to the above mentioned towns and visit one of the creepy Internet cafes. Paying a dollar an hour... but I do it anyway... even when the creepy old dude next to me is playing solitaire and checking me out when I'm deep in concentration while writing back to friends via Myspace)
16) No phone! (fuck you, phone! Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you!)

This list could go on and on... I love everything I do over there. Sure, some of the people are... pretty bad... and they love talking shit, but that's why I never give them the opportunity to find me in some sort of compromising position.
I play it safe, enjoy the scenery... and stay out of trouble (yeah, I'm a goody-goody... and what? I enjoy being sober and watching the drunken chicks make asses of themselves as they cry over some guy that's ignoring them--totally not the case if the female's sober, those cases suck. It's awesome for me... better than soap operas, if you ask me. I also love it when those same chicks get caught by their very embarrassed moms who slap them in public and call them hoes... it's just... fantastic. It's even better when those inebriated girls use the excuse of "But Mom! Everyone was like that!" which gives me the opportunity to raise my hand in protest and say "Upppp-up-up! Not me!!" Oh, I'm enjoying these memories).

Even with all the modernism going on over there, going to Mexico is still like traveling back in time (both in a good and bad way).
It's amazing... and it helps me stay sane (and also appreciate living in the U.S. After three weeks in Mexico, I start missing all the typical Vegas-y things... even the weather).

Man, I have a very bad case of Mexico fever... I don't know if I'll make it till Mid-July... I wanna go nowwww!

P.S. Totally off-topic: I was going to blog yesterday about some creepy dude that was petting my back throughout mass on Saturday... but I opted against it... because... I felt kind of bad... for the weirdo guy (I did think it was a kid that was touching my back... until I had to turn around to shake people's hands and I came to the realization that it was only a 40-something-year-old man that was sitting behind me. Quite mortifying... and creepy). But yes... I can now add that to my list of "weird shit to happen to me," and "Weird things older dudes have done to me in church." Why do I attract those types of people... why?!

2 comments:

Native Minnow said...

Why indeed?

Sounds to me like the level is more of a red.

Oh, and I haven't ridden a horse since I was about twelve. Way to make me suddenly want to do just that, except in the mountains somewhere, not here.

Native Minnow said...

But not Brokeback Mountain (for the record)