Saturday, April 27, 2013

Caw

Exactly a week ago, I was out in the wilderness, encountering my first group of white-face capuchin monkeys, toucans, and howler monkeys.
Before our excursion into the jungle, we decided to grab some lunch. It was here where the bright colors of a very large bird beak caught my attention. I walked away from my table and towards the edge of the cliff (the "restaurant" was on a hill, overlooking our cabins down below, and beyond that, it was pure jungle) to get a better view.
There he was, on a branch of the nearest tree-- a toucan.
Everyone from my table walked over to get a better view. After the novelty wore off, everyone but me walked back to the table to wait on our food.
The toucan began to... caw? Is that what they do? I'd say "sing" but it was rough sounding.
After about two minutes of cawing, a rustle in some trees to the left of the toucan caught my attention-- a second toucan.
Mr. Toucan continued cawing... singing... workin' it, so to speak.
Toucan number two just sat there, unimpressed, indifferent.
Two minutes later, Ms. Toucan flew away.
Poor, foolish, lovelorn Mr. Toucan cawed... and cawed... with no call being returned. He sat there, in that tree... alone... unaffected, not giving a fuck about all the witnesses of his rejection... silence.

I was making my way to take a seat to finish my chicken fingers and beer (I may have been deep in the Costa Rican jungle, but that doesn't mean I'd be doing something like eating some fucking exotic shit), when in the distance, I heard a familiar sound-- a caw, similar to Mr. Toucan's. Mr. Toucan cawed again, and faintly, deeper in the forest and away from sight, another toucan mimicked him.
See! She DID care, homie!
The back and forth continued for a few more minutes, and suddenly, some rustling in the tree where Mr. Toucan had been singing-- he was gone, as was his calling.

No comments: