Wednesday, December 19, 2012

10 years later

D went back to Chicago today.

These last few days have been nothing short of amazing.
I've laughed a lot, I've spent much time with many family members... who have all been sweet to me.

I'm in the highest spirits because I spent last night hanging out and laughing with my high school friends. We had a mini ten-year reunion.
While my bestie was missing because she had to work, only two other girls from my close-knit circle of friends from high school were missing.
We hit Triple 7, where we sat at the bar and proceeded to catch up over some beers... like the fucking adults we've suddenly become.
I had not seen any of these girls in well over 7 years, since I did see them at some point in college.
While I was probably the least successful, and clearly the saddest, it was still ok. They were all very sweet, and within ten minutes we were back to laughing uncontrollably at our witty remarks... just like we would when we'd be at our high school cafeteria table.
It was exactly that: the reunion of our high school cafeteria table, our roles unchanged.
The coolest part was that at NO TIME did we badmouth anyone, or gossip. We were supportive of each other, and talked about... life. It was so weird, especially since I've rarely been in the presence of a girl herd where gossip was not the focal point.

All I could think of was that damn movie "Now and Then."
It's hard to believe it's been TEN YEARS since we last did all this... it's stranger that we haven't aged. We look pretty fucking great for 27/28 year olds... I guess that's the secret to smart, dorky girls-- we don't age, we're fuckin' Benjamin Buttons!
I'm also the ex-Fat Girl of the bunch. That chick who spent her teens fat and quiet... you don't see her for years then suddenly BAM! Look at her, she looks normal!
I'm the ex-fat-girl of the movie... creepy. (They always end up being the chicks who never find love regardless of how attractive they may be once thin. I now understand why those chicks never find love-- we're too mentally FUCKED UP)

Numerous times throughout the night, someone in the group would make a comment along the lines of "Are you SURE you're not a writer?" "You're definitely a writer..."
They also told me my affinity for writing definitely made sense-- in hindsight. They told me my comedic timing and wording was unique, something Kelley has been telling me for nearly a decade (!). I may be a quiet, reserved girl, but when I'm comfortable and I have a deep appreciation of you, I will be the funniest, wittiest person in a room; it's my way of thanking you-- making you laugh... it fills my heart.

I may not have many female friends, but the ones I do have are remarkable human beings.
I'm a happy girl.

No comments: