Sunday, November 18, 2007

When all else fails, complain

I've been trying.
I clear my mind once in a while... sometimes it lasts for hours.
I try to stay out of the house, because I noticed that's when I don't think about what's going on.
When I'm stuck at home, I either study Molecular, read Blogs, or complain to keep my head out of the situation.
I'm stuck at home right now, so I'm going to 1)Blog, and 2) complain.

I managed to concentrate on a movie yesterday.
Love in the Time of Cholera.
I came out of the theater kind of aggravated.
Aggravation was a welcomed emotion.

I absolutely DESPISE when something in Spanish is done in English.
Translations rarely work. Books that turn into movies rarely do the book justice.

The fact that the movie was in English bothered me from the very beginning (why not make the film in the original language of the book, then add subtitles?).
There was a variety of Spanish accents (and even an Italian one from the lead female character. When she supposedly spoke Spanish, I said out loud "WHAT?!" Same happened with the mother of the lead character Florentino--she's a Brazilian actress)... and that to me is a giant no-no.

My annoyance may not be evident to non-(native) Spanish speakers, but let me explain why the accents bothered me:
To me, watching this movie and listening to the accents was like sitting through a movie with Irish, Scottish, Swedish, British, American, Australian, and South African accented English... all the time the actors trying to convince you they were speaking Jamaican English.
Just imagine these actors not even trying to sound Jamaican.
I most nearly walked out of the movie in the first 10 minutes.
This is bullshit, dude, I'm Mexican and even I know that shit isn't a Colombian-trying-to-speak-English accent!
The only persons I believed were Benjamin Bratt (I may have been biased... since I've had the hots for this man for quite some time and he can do no wrong in my eyes) and Catalina Sandino Moreno (this girl's Colombian, so she better have a Colombian accent. But I wasn't angry with her, she's a fantastic actress). Everyone else had me upset.

And the make-up some of these people had.
Man.
Ok.
If I'm not mistaken, when a person who has been smoking since their 20's reaches their 70's, they rarely have any lips left. They just have these disgusting, deep crevices perpendicular to their lips. Their exact name escapes my already-filled-with-nonsense mind.
Why did the lady still have luscious lips?
Bad make-up artist, BADDD!

I am glad I watched this film, though... it had me (has me?) worked up for a while.

Anything to get back to a little bit of normalcy.

1 comment:

Mooney said...

I wanted to go watch that movie...glad I didn't.