Sunday, December 22, 2013

Bloody Spoiled

I've had an awesome time here. The city is... Well, full of MY people. 
Today I spent my day in the company of my friend and her best friends. They were all eager to meet me because they think our friendship (the friend I'm staying with) and how it came about is weird (I'll write it some other day).
They are a fucking riot. I can sit and listen to them all day... Mexican slang is music to my ears and I gladly sit back and enjoy the melody.
I experienced an activity that is well known down here, Xochimilco-- they call it the Mexican Venice... But I like this one better, because as bad a rap as Mexico City may get, it's not bad at all... Starting with the smell. On these boats we were allowed to bring in as much of our own food and drink as we wanted. It was MAGIC!
We followed Xochimilco with a trip to their version of the swap meet... As in, the swap meet of the pros. I felt eerily at home, when the whole time my group thought I was going to be scared half to death.
We then returned home to a surprise get-together (wouldn't call it a party because we weren't dancing or singing... It was basically a kick-back) where I met more friends of my friend.

There was one negative incident that made me frown.
See, I get along with these people because we're so alike, especially the girls. They're chicks who swore up and down they'd never marry or have kids because they loved doing their own shit.
Well, two of them, including my friend, have daughters. My friend's daughter is a sweet, rebellious smartypants... With a TINY bit of a mean streak. The other little girl, the daughter of my friend's BFF, is... a somewhat timid little girl, soft spoken... Imaginative... Talkative Girly girl... With a weird tendency to be a little spoiled brat.
The timid little girl only wants to be liked, it's obvious based on the embellished stories she tells... And her constant need to break silences. However, if ignored for too long, or told to zip her lip, she turns bratty and mean.
So, we're dealing with this little girl's sudden mood shifts. She had been playing races with my friend's daughter, so she wasn't paying attention to her mom, who was telling her to come back and hold her hand (understandable, we were going to cross a big intersection at night).
As we reach the curb, the little girl is still refusing to hold her mom's hand and instead wants to scurry next to my friend's daughter. This infuriated her mom... And I turned just in time to watch the mom SHOVE her daughter off the sidewalk, where the kid landed on her knees on the asphalt and banged her head on a parked car.
My heart SANK.
We were all quiet.
Girl'sMom: KEEP REFUSING TO HOLD MY HAND! Brat! SEE WHAT HAPPENS! Now quit crying and cross the street on your own!

The little girl was hysterical (not the funny type) sobbing wildly... Her right knee bleeding.
My heart was pounding so hard... And I was trying my best not to join the baby (she's five) in her sobbing.
Oh you sweet baby... Oh you sweet baby!

Our group was at a loss... I mean, if we were to coddle the kid, comfort her, who knows if we'd just make the situation worse for her... Since we'd be embarrassing her mom.
Each time the little girl would look down at her knee and see it was still bleeding, she'd start a new round of sobs. Her hair was all sloppy from the fall... It was all such a fucking heart breaking scene...
After maybe AN HOUR of walking around, the little girl's mom came around and started acknowledging her daughter... Then started buying her everything... in what I can only assume was her method of apologizing for getting straight HOMICIDAL on her kid.
And that's when I understood why the girl was a brat...

And this is why I don't have kids...
I am SO MUCH like this girl--the mom-- that I just KNOW I'll fuck my kid up. Clearly she loves her kid... But she says and does some heartless, mean shit to/about the little girl... it just ruins the poor baby. Little girl's naturally sweet and caring... but after feeling wronged, she turns into an insufferable little monster, and you can't really blame her for it.
Parenthood is a fucking mess.

No comments: