Thursday, December 12, 2013

La del medio

Brother: Hold up hold up... is this real?
He holds my first place blue ribbon in his hands.
Me: Yeah. I won it back in 1998...
Brother: What did you do?
Me: I drew a poster. I won.
Brother: For the state of Nevada?
Me: Yeah.
Brother: How come I never knew this?
Me: ... I don't know. It has been hanging there for 14 years.

No... it's ok, really.
I'm a middle kid-- my older brother is intelligent beyond belief (and successful in all areas BUT the romance department, but that's all three of us), and my baby sister is quite the stunning beauty.
I am the stereotypical middle child.
I'm used to being overlooked. I'm used to "settling" and keeping quiet in the name of keeping the group harmony going.
I'm used to getting trampled... embarrassed, humiliated, overlooked, ignored... and all that good shit.

I'm used to it.
But it doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

But it's ok. A kid learns to deal.

I'm going to go jump on clouds with some Care Bears and then try to get in some time to walk along the Korean beach in the company of my handsome, young, caring grandfather.
(Imagination-- that's what has kept my heart beating all these years. That's how I can deal. That's how I handle anything. Just give me enough time to dream, and I'm good)

No comments: