Thursday, September 27, 2007

Rafalala!!

(I have mentioned how he loves wrecking pictures by looking like an idiot, right? This was around the time he had the brilliant idea to do such a thing... and you can tell I wasn't a fan of his new little habit even then... and of course, Little Sister was off in her own little modeling world to care... cute little brat)

So... today my brother turns a year older... and here's the mandatory entry dedicated solely to him.

I don't mind writing only about him, because I love him dearly... as much as I fight with him.
He's probably the coolest brother anyone could have asked for.

First off, he taught me how to fight.
Most pictures I have with him in our earlier years consists of one pushing the other... or one putting rabbit ears on the other.... or we're straight up wrestling, with him grabbing me by the collar of my shirt and screaming in my face (I had it coming though, I would steal his toy cars and hide them... and that would exasperate him badly) all while I'm still laughing in his face (I'm not telling... Nia-nia-nia Nia-nia Niaaaa!). Even now, we'll push each other around a bit... we'll probably do this until one of us breaks a hip in old age. It's fun... ya'll should try it with your siblings.

Two: He taught me how to play sports... and enjoy watching other play video games.
While I did complain sometimes, overall... this little trick made it easier for me to befriend guys... and it made me less of a snobby "girly-girl," (plus, can you imagine how horrible I'd look if I wouldn't be into sports? God, I'd been a walrus!). We never had a second brother... so he had to use me, to oldest one of the girls, to act like a boy so he wouldn't get bored. I of course, had no other choice since he ruled with an iron fist (yeah, right. I just accepted because I would get sick and tired of him shooting at me with rubber bands all day... I hate rubber bands).
Thanks to those years of training, I can now throw a football better than a lot of dudes I know.... do you know how powerful that makes me feel?!
(j/k) I'll play a game of basketball once in a while... and I'll definitely participate in a game of baseball. Sure, this makes me sort of an outcast amongst the girls... but who gives a fuck when guys are so much cooler?
And yes, you read correctly... I like watching people play video games. It's a weird habit... but I really do get into the game like if it were the real deal. I'm not good at video games though... so maybe that's why I admire others who are.

Three: He'd take the fault for a ton of my mistakes.
Now, while this might not be considered such a big thing... it sure was huge in our case... with our Mom who's so fond of corporal punishment.
My brother could take a slap, a kick, and a whip to the ass better than any kid I knew. He'd see me panicking whenever I made a mistake... like when I broke something... or caught something on fire... and he'd tell me to relax because he'd say he did it (and then there's also the whole "Please eat all the shrimp on my plate so Mom won't hit me with the belt for not eating, Older Brother!!" He saved me from a whipping that way maybe... three times).
This got him the reputation of being one of the biggest troublemakers in the neighborhood... but we all knew he was responsible for maybe one third of the things he'd be accused of because he would take the fall for most of the girls he cared about (which in total, it was probably five of us. Five girls can get in a shitload of trouble).

Four: My bro was a little big man.
Older Brother learned to be an adult at a very young age. The level of responsibility he had at age five is a lot more than I have at 22.

Five: My bro is SUPER smart!
Sure, he has almost zero common sense... but we can't all be MacGyvers!
Academically, he's someone I've always looked up to. Yes... sometimes I'm insanely jealous... but proud is what I am most.
He has an incredibly bright future.... if he fucking quits boxing and drinking so much... shit.


Six: My brother's an individual... and incredibly brave.
He's always gone against what's popular but stupid... even if that meant standing alone. When he joined the army... we were all in shock and pretty pissed off. Every guy called him a dumb ass... and then September 11th happened right as he graduated basic training... and everyone was calling him a dead dumb ass.
While everyone was making plans for their sons to leave the country and avoid the "draft," (idiots) my brother was anxious to go and do his job.
When we saw him in Fort Sill, we were all scared... teary eyed and uncertain about the future. He told us not to worry, that he was ready for anything.... and that, my friends, takes a lot of fucking balls to say in front of a crying mother, father, and two sisters.

Seven: He's a sensitive guy...
I guess he thinks we'll freak out if he ever breaks down... and frankly, that's 100 percent true. Once he freaks, I know we're all fucked.
The times he does let his guard down... he thinks no one's around to see it.
I've only seen him cry twice with a movie: I am Sam and El Laberinto del Fauno. Both times... when the movie was over... he'd say something like "that was gay..." but as he would get up to leave, I could always see tears in his eyes.
He's been caught in pictures being pensive... those are always my favorite pictures:
Older brother has a heart!

I could continue forever... there's a ton of things that make my brother an amazing man (and this is why, without a care in the world, I've gotten into fights with his ex-girlfriends when they do him wrong)... I just don't have the time or space to say it all (ok, here's one more: He never held it against us whenever we'd say shit like "I can't wait until you fucking leave this house, asshole! We're not going to miss you!!" He believes us when we say we miss him... plus, we always treat him like a king when he's in town... I don't let anyone else pinch my nose to impede my breathing, just him).

There's nothing he could say or do to make me hate him (there was that one time I wanted to beat the shit out of him... and even then, my heart wouldn't let me).
He's my twin... separated by one and a half years... and it's thanks to him that I'm any sort of cool.

...Now if only we could hug without feeling stupid... ha.

1 comment:

Mooney said...

Aww! That's so cute!

Got my wisdom teeth pulled. :[