Thursday, September 6, 2007

You down with FCC? (Yeah, you know me)

I like commercials.

Is that so wrong?

It's one of my many guilty pleasures (sometimes I do wonder why the hell I can't have normal guilty pleasures like... eating Ben & Jerry's while watching a sad movie and crying my eyes out. I've always heard of that being some sort of "girly" guilty pleasure, but I've never had Ben & Jerry's--at least not that I can recall-- and I don't really bawl my eyes out during a movie).

Now, I'm not talking late-night local commercials... no, those frustrate me and carry the potential of putting me to sleep.
I'm talking expensive, well thought out commercials.
Ones with the potential of making me think, making me angry, but mostly, just making me laugh.

I've never lived in any other country that isn't either Mexico or the U.S., but I'm sure regardless, I'd have Mexican television commercials on my top five list of commercials I enjoy sitting down to watch.

Mexican commercials beat out U.S. commercials when it comes to making me laugh.
No, it's not because Mexican commercials are better... because I really can't claim one being better than the other (although when it comes to wit, I have to say Mexico has a lot of it... especially when it comes to certain subjects. But then again, some view points held by Mexicans kind of bother me... like... sometimes they'll be hardcore stereotypical about certain ethnic groups and I find it to be slightly... racist... bigoted... you know, things along those lines... whereas in the U.S., the FCC will fine folks for not being PC).

No, I enjoy Mexican commercials because they always find something to write at the bottom of the screen concerning the product they're advertising.
Doesn't seem that funny at first thought... but damn, are they entertaining.

Examples?
1)This really good chocolate bar commercial's running... and throughout the entire commercial you'll see medium sized writing in white that'll read "Chocolate gives energy."

2) Coca-Cola commercial is running, and in the same way as in the chocolate commercial, the letters will say "Haz deporte por lo menos 30 minutos al dia" which translates to "Exercise at least 30 minutes a day."

3) Shampoo commercial is running, and the bottom of the screen will read "Limpieza es salud" aka "Cleanliness is health."

Of this last one I have proof of its existence: There I was playing around with my camera in Mexico... and I was going to delete that picture (because, while it looks like I enjoy taking those sorts of pictures--I do have one on my Myspace-- the flash really does bother me), but then I cought a glimpse of the image in the background... and it was like finding gold!

Yes, I know all you can see are those two little boys in soccer uniforms, but the commercial was about some dude getting ready to hang out with his bitch childhood friend who was a little jerk to him back in the day... and now as adults, the kid that used to get picked on is super hot. Why? Because he uses *_Brand name here_* shampoo, that's why! (because I know I'm all over a guy whose hair smells nice... ??)


I just love to see what they come up with (if I hear it's a new commercial and I'm busy in the kitchen/bedroom/outside/etc, I will actually stop what I'm doing and run to go check out what's written below the commercial).

So far, my favorite one has been the one about the chocolate.
The first time I read that one I was laughing about it for weeks... I even went around chanting that each time I bought anything containing chocolate.

You know, I've read that Latinos are coming down with diabetes at an alarming rate recently... and I'm guessing that... maybe... just possibly... the thought of "chocolate giving you energy" might have something to do with that...
(I'm being sarcastic... obviously)

No comments: