Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mushy stuff

Last night turned out to be a mushy love-fest.

Instead of going straight to the "Bridal Shower" (how decent) at 5 in the afternoon, I hung out with Chase for a while.
I then went to church...
Hung around in the church parking lot...
Anything to avoid going straight to the shower.

Well... once I ran out of excuses, I headed to the place.

That's when the love-fest began.
I was oddly... kind to everyone. I went through the trouble of greeting everyone (which weren't too many folks, they were in the process of leaving when I showed up at 8:30), and I even hugged a good percentage of them.
(Shocker!! I know!)

That's when the bride-to-be aka my childhood best friend came over to hug me... and it was one of those hugs where the people sway from side to side all excited... like they haven't seen each other in age (She actually said "I haven't seen you in ages!! Look at your hair!").
She then told me how glad she was to see me because:

I was upset thinking my best friend wasn't going to show up! But you did!!


....
....
O...K...
Thanks...
Thanks for making me feel like a douche for avoiding your party for a second there...
Fuck, I'm a terrible person.

So, after that mushy exchange, she told me to grab some food and take a seat to watch her open the gifts.
I ate as fast as possible, then gave her my undivided attention.
She opened about 10, then she reached my gift.

She grabbed the card I had written:
(giggled) Oh! Listen to this!! Haha!
"It was just yesterday when you were the little girl who taught me how to cross the street. Now you're taking that giant step to becoming a bona fide adult."
(Her voice breaks)
"Wish you all the luck in the world, and the happiest marriage a woman can have..."
(Hard core crying now)
"Nadie se lo merece mas que tu!" (no one is more deserving than you)
(Now I'm crying... everyone else is looking at us with pity... "Awwing" all over the place)
"Love you! Tus Primas, TravelinDin y AnoMALIE"

This was all recorded... and it was terrible, because I guess Bride-to-Be thought it was going to be a funny card... because obviously I don't know how to write anything heart-warming and touching... then BAM! It backfired and I had her made into a river of tears and sobs... and she brought me down right along with her.

Damn AnoMALIE... not knowing the strength of your own writing... dumb ass.

However, I didn't think she was going to be saddened by what I wrote because I wrote it two minutes before running out my front door to meet up with Chase.

Anyway, the party ran until 9:30 PM... and everyone there was pretty freakin' nice. Not a single person asked me about my relationship status... I did get a couple "So, AnoMALIE, how've you been? Missing TravelinDin much?"
To which I'd retort
"Nah, I just came back from spending a month with her all over Europe... I'm cool."

Come on now, I have to be a snot to people sometimes.
(Why does everyone think I'll crumble when away from my siblings? Sheesh, people, I'm no wanker)

Then I headed on over to my aunt's house to do some serious "catching-up" about... so many topics... I laughed at her place until around 12 AM, when I started falling alseep on her floor (she has a new puppy I like playing around with... it's this sort of tea-cup labrador thing... I get on the floor to play with the little creature... and since I'm now an old lady after my return from Spain, my body gets tired around 10 PM, and 12 AM is really pushing it).

Ah, yes... family life... how mushy.

No comments: