Tuesday, October 4, 2011

J-O-B

Typical conversation between me and a friend I haven't seen in a while:

Friend: Hey, AnoMALIE! How are you?! You're tiny! (this last part is new. Seems everyone is fond of the term. I personally don't consider myself "tiny," just so we're clear on that)
Me: Hey! Oh, you know, just... living, I guess. But I am doing much better than six months ago, that's for sure.
Friend: Going to school? Working? What's new?
Me: Nope. Neither. Schools rejected me and... well, no job either. It appears Las Vegas has no need for biologists, believe it or not.
Friend: Aww... well... you're looking great, so that's good, right?
Me: Eh. (I don't do compliments very well)

Often times, we'll go into long conversations over jobs. In order not to sound frivolous or... just like a total asshole, I act like this whole "me not having a job" thing is a very lamentable ordeal.
I don't want to be like "Well, my parents have their own successful businesses and I really have no need for money. You could say we're 'blessed' where my siblings and I have free reign to follow our dreams, so don't feel bad for me. I'm ok. Trust me" (this makes me feel like so much shit, especially with the current movement going on at WallStreet with the protesters. The 99 percent issue. My heart breaks to know so many people are living day-to-day).
Does it suck that I can't use my degree to help out society in some way? Hella.
Am I beating myself up for being unemployed? Nah. There are many, MANY other people who could certainly use the jobs... you know, people with families and mortgages to pay. I can't live with myself knowing I may be taking away from those families just because I want "spending money."

So, that's the usual song and dance-- song and dance I performed over the weekend while helping Musketeer move.
Musketeer had a somewhat difficult time finding a job, so when I told him I was STILL unemployed, it seemed to really upset him.
Being the good friend he is, he and his mother started brainstorming over possible jobs for me.
It was a little sad to know they were so concerned over my employment state... to think of the conversations they must have behind my back (not bad, just that they were feeling pity for me. We all know how I feel about pity).
Anyway, I very graciously thanked them for their concern, and agreed that if they found a J-O-B for me I'd be cool with it.

Today, Musketeer texted me.
Homeboy found me a job.
?!?! Oh wow... you were quick.
I start tomorrow.
Oh SHIT! You weren't kidding!
It has nothing to do with biology, it's temporary... but it does put some extra cash in my pocket, hours are ridiculously flexible, and I get to help some people in need.

Awww!

3 comments:

Kelley Karas said...

That's cool! Also Whatcha doing ? :)
....and i'll eventually have a lab job for you. I just wish I knew how long it was going to take.

Also you shouldn't feel bad because you are in a position where it's okay not to have a job. Nor should you have to explain it to anyone. If they think poorly, it's their prerogative. Every life is different and this one is yours. Your parents created their own American dream, most likely with you and your siblings in mind.

Nor should you feel bad if you had a job - potentially taking food from hungry families. There's a lot more going on out there than just people down on their luck. I hear stories (perhaps I'm not supposed to) from students talking to each other about how they're only taking classes to prolong their unemployment or welfare.. so they don't have to work... :( I also hear stories from people at work about how they commit fraud with social programs by claiming other people children and getting food stamps or section 8.. (they're proud of it.. and making well above the poverty limit at work). I don't know why I'm rambling other than this is all so complex...

AnoMALIE said...

duuude. DUUUUDE! Well, I'll just post an entry a little later. But Jesus! I don't know how Kyle digs that shit... then again, to each his own.

After seeing his coworkers today, I quit feeling bad. SO FUCKING LAZY! And to get paid so much for the stuff they do is ludicrous (seriously, they sit there in their cubicle and listen to the radio--not kyle, but the other ones do). Lab work is more my style. I daydreamed about streaking plates... that's how much I realized I don't like office jobs.

Kelley Karas said...

Yeah Kyle always had a pretty good work ethic at unlv.
I look forward to reading it.