Sunday, October 23, 2011

Heartbreakingly Hopeful

On Facebook and even back in the Myspace days, I had a tendency to... go a little too in depth when it came to my likes/dislikes/interests.
However, I've kept a few things to myself.

One factoid I've refused to share with ALL my "Friends?"
One of my absolute favorite movies on the face of the earth, is Edward Scissorhands.
I don't keep that information to myself out of shame... or fear of getting judged... I keep it to myself because it's just a bit too revealing.

I first watched that film when I was in first grade, I think.
It wasn't the first Tim Burton film I watched, I clearly remember being frightened by Beetlejuice, and I watched Batman as well (slightly responsible for my aversion of clowns. FUCK The Joker, get that motherfucker out of my face!).
What drew me to this new film? The color palate. The look of the neighborhood.
I was five or six, come on!

I remember seeing Edward Scissorhands for the first time, and being scared.
Then I kept watching... and I fell in love with him... not romantic love, but... I sympathized with him. My heart belonged to him.
He's so sweet... he's... an awesome guy... and they're so mean to him... he's so alone.
Needless to say, by the story's end, I was a sobbing mess.
My folks thought I was crying because I was scared. I had to explain through sobs that my heart was broken. That the film made me sad. That Edward Scissorhands shouldn't have been treated the way he was only because he didn't look like everyone else.

I still can't watch the film without crying.
I cry harder now as an adult than I did as a kid.
Even now, just thinking about it, I get a knot in my throat and tears roll down my face. I can't fucking help it.
I feel that movie.
Do you know an Edward Scissorhands?
No. I AM Edward Scissorhands.
And that's as much as I feel comfortable sharing for now, as far as that film is concerned.

The exhibition yesterday was everything I wished for and more.
I gasped numerous times, particularly with the Beetlejuice section (they had some props from the set which were FUCKING AWESOME), Edward Scissorhands section (obvious reasons now, but one thing that took my breath away was the costume worn by Johnny Depp, which was propped up high. They also had one of the scissor hands. I admired that WAY more than I did the Hope Diamond), The Nightmare Before Christmas Section (they had the molds of Jack's various facial expressions on display. Fucking great), and OF COURSE The Corpse Bride section (I nearly lost it when I read the description of Emily: "The Heartbreakingly Hopeful Corpse Bride." Jesus Christ... control yourself, AnoMALIE! They had actual stop-motion... puppets? they used on the film. I admired those shits for far longer than I probably should have).
I mention those four portions of the exhibition, but really, the ENTIRE thing was remarkable (Frankenweenie, Vincent, Willy Wonka, etc etc). Awe-inspiring. Heart-filling. And the list goes on.

I went ahead and purchased a poster (I'll post a photo of it if I remember later), and Sister indulged me and purchased The Art of Tim Burton.
I've spent all day (well, the part of it where I've been home) reading the book, page by page, and crying with a good few of things written/drawn.

I'm WAY too emotional, but absolutely, positively satisfied.

No comments: