Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Scanning

Back in first grade, our class would go to the computer lab once a week.
They were huge Apple computers... with enormous floppy discs.
I remember always wanting to play the Oregon Trail, but the only game I was ever allowed to play was a stupid math game where I had to attempt landing a spaceship on a certain part of the moon (this became available once I correctly answered a certain number of addition problems. BORING!).
I'd be the sourpuss sitting in the corner computer, pouting because I couldn't care less about stupid spaceships and addition... I wanted to kill some fucking bison!

Thank you for that wonderful memory, Mr. Steve Jobs. Rest in peace.
***

My First day on the job?
It was interesting.
1. The place is run by... a particular nationality... that speaks a different language I don't understand. It was uncomfortable to sit there and just... KNOW they were talking shit.
It's only temporary, you're doing them a fucking favor. Get over it.
2. I remembered a new word! Nepotism! That shit runs the fucking world.
Bitter? Me? Nah.
3. My friend is radtastic.
Personally, I wouldn't want to work there full-time. It's not something I dig (cubicle... sitting and staring at a computer all day). HOWEVER, being that my work partner was one of my besties made it fun... made it tolerable. Plus, he'd play music I liked... and is impossible to be depressed with (if you can get depressed listening to NOFX you have a fucking problem... or maybe I just haven't found any depressing songs yet). He's also incredibly reassuring... very comforting when he knows you're confused/intimidated as fuck... this is why we've been homies since freshman year of college.
This is why I want to be as good as possible at this job, just so he won't look bad. That'd be fucked up on my behalf.

Other weird tidbit? I'm the tallest PERSON in that building.
...
I'm 5'8".
No, I take it back, there is ONE guy taller than I am, but other than that, I have to physically look down to make eye-contact with people.

Another bit: Ok, so this job is basically me meticulously scanning legal documents for court cases. I caught myself smiling to myself because all I could think was:
Here I am... biology degree... doing the job ANY ten year old (who has not been living in a cave) can do.
Then I'd fight back a case of the giggles when I'd realize this would totally be my 15-year-old-self's dream job.
Back in 2000, all I fucking did was abuse the scanner and upload any and all photos that landed in my grasp.
This would make me laugh hysterically in my head... remembering the 15-year-old-days, that is.
Oh my god... OH MY GAAAAAWD! AHAHAHA! It's a fucking circle! It all comes back!
Then I'd smile some more.
I can't believe they're paying me to do this shit.

And so, I did my job as fast as possible, because I just want to crank out the 800-box (each containing four 4-inch binders PACKED with documents/post-its/etc lawyers may need) job ASAP and get on with my DC-Trip-Part-Deux (oh yeah, I'm going to DC next week. I've been too busy being Emo to update y'all on that).

I'd rather be a scientist.

No comments: