Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cuento

Know what I love? Having all these crazy Mexico stories floating around in my head and then totally forgetting the majority of them because too many people are texting/calling me to ask about Mexico.

For the most part, people are eager to know what went down with my brother's ex, since we practically lived together for the two weeks we were in the same town.

I'll confess: I went to Mexico with a goal... to get Alo (bro's ex) and my brother back together again.

After so many years of being broken up (about 7), it upsets the shit out of me to see these two kids still love each other, yet avoid each other because their little hearts still break at the sight or sound of one another.
When I mention her name around Bro, I'll see his face light up... but a frown makes its way to his mouth by the end of my sentence. The hurt is still there. Same goes for Alo... her eyes twinkle each time I say Bro's name... and she ends up fighting tears by the time we're done talking about Bro.

My brother has been asking about her a lot lately. I believe this is largely due to the fact that he'll be done with Grad school next summer... so he's ready to settle down come that time... and he can't see himself with any other girl but Alo.
Alo is my brother's lobster... my brother is Alo's lobster.
Yet they can't be together.

Bro wrote her an extremely long e-mail while we were in Mexico... he told us to please talk to her and let her know he "still loves her... no girl will ever compare to her. Even if she turns me down, I still thank her, because it's thanks to her that I KNOW love exists."
My heart broke once he said that. My Bro NEVER talks "love," so this shit was serious.

My sister was with Alo when she read the e-mail.
Sister's jaw dropped, Alo cried.
"I waited so long to hear this from him... I... I don't know what to say.... I mean... he was my first everything... but... I have a boyfriend now."
She didn't write back.

Yesterday she called us.
"I think he's... gonna ask me the question."
WTF are you talking about?
"The question.... he's gonna ask me."
MY BROTHER?!
"No... my boyfriend."
Aaaand... what are you gonna say?
"I think... I'm gonna say... yes."
But what about my brother?
"It's... I... I just... I can't do that to my boyfriend..."
Do you love him, your boyfriend?
"... I guess..."
Do you see yourself being with him for the rest of your life?
"Ummm... yeah... I guess I could..."
Well... if that's what will make you happy... just be happy.

And I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach.
I need to quit believing in fairy tales.
No one gets a Prince Charming... and Prince Charming never makes it in time to save his Princess.

No comments: