Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Trash digger

While I'm graduating this December, I have yet to tell people (at least in real life I haven't told anyone).

I've been receiving those letters you get from advertising companies where you buy graduation announcements since last year, but each time, they go straight to the trash.

I don't care to let people know I'm graduating... I kind of want it to be a surprise. You know, so when I'm talking to relatives and they ask me when I am finally graduating college, I'll say "Oh, I did that in '07, didn't you hear?"
So they can feel bad for not noticing... because I'm a bitch like that.

Well, last night when I returned from the gym, I saw this on the countertop:


Me: What the hell is this?
Mom: So...
Me: I thought I threw this out... like six months ago...
Mom: So.
Me: So, I don't want any.
Mom: I'm the one buying them...
Me: So? I'm the one graduating.
Mom: So? I want to spend my money on this...
Me: Well... why don't you spend it on something useful... you know... like that one camera I wanted (Just for reference, I want this one:
Mom: I want to spend it on this.
Me: To boast to people that I'm graduating? No thanks. I don't care about letting other people know I'm graduating.
Mom: So why did you go to school all these years?
Me: Oh!! That's riiiiight! I went to college so that at the end of all the vomiting, stressing, and crying I could send out hundreds of little white and red cards to people who don't give a shit about me when free food or drinks aren't in the picture. I had forgotten... I was dumb enough to think I went to school so I could get a biology degree. Oops, my bad.

Mom still bought the damn announcements.

P.S. and totally off-subject: Today, I have fallen in love... with ensaymada. Can you say delicious?! Fucking delicious! Yes... I feel unbelieveably guilty afterwards... but man... oh man... where has it been all my life? (kind of sad that I had to taste it after a funeral of my sister's Filipino friend... but... wow)

5 comments:

Mooney said...

Well I'm glad you're graduating! :D

I didn't want to buy any announcements either when I graduated high school. It's not like relatives went.

AnoMALIE said...

Heyyyyyyy!!!
Where'd you go?
I'm suffering here not being able to read up on you!
:(

Native Minnow said...

If you're quick enough, you can intercept the package when it arrives, and not send out the announcements after all. Not sure how your mother would take that, but it's something that could still be done ;-)

Native Minnow said...

Oh yeah, congratulations!

elbee said...

That envelope in the mail was addressed to me, so I haven't shown it to my mom. I highly doubt she'll buy them anyway (not because we can't afford it, but no one in our family will go anyway). Maybe I should and see what she thinks.

And I'm graduating in December too! Maybe we'll see each other or something.