Thursday, February 3, 2011

Compliments

Today was "Compliment AnoMALIE Day."

The day started with my eyebrow lady making people crowd around me to check out my hands.
I was busy closing my eyes while she threaded away at my brows, when she said something in farsi. I wouldn't have opened my eyes, but she touched my middle finger. The moment I opened my eyes, I saw the workers of the place hovering over and taking a peek at my hands.
EyebrowLady: I had told them you had very nice fingers. They didn't believe me and had to see for themselves. You have very nice fingers.

... probably the weirdest compliment I've ever received... but I very awkwardly said "thank you?"
I then remembered this eyebrow lady almost had a heart-attack when I went to her about a month ago and I had this polish going on:
not very...
She first didn't want to touch my hand, because she thought I was diseased or something (giving merit to Mooney's claim of my hands being "zombie hands" ha!), then she was mesmerized by the miniature nature of my nails.
Eyebrowlady: They're so little, but not little... are they yours?
Me: The nails? Yes. They're mine.
Eyebrowlady: THE COLOR TOO?!
Me: I manicured my nails like that, but they're not REALLY that color.

I felt like quite the sensation (I should have told them I had "magic hands." That's what MGH used to say. "No one touches me the way you do" and still he let me go... so they must not have been so awesome, right? That's why I didn't say shit... and also because that just sounds dirty).

After that semi-pleasant/awkward surprise, I was dreading my kickboxing class... since there isn't a week I don't nearly bust into a brawl in that class.
This day, however, the instructor was hell of late. After fifteen minutes of waiting, the only natural thing for us to do was to start mingling.
There were four girls and two guys in my circle of acquaintances.
I'm starting to get really close to one of the guys, since we've been chit chatting every week before class for the last year. He's this giant black guy, who scared me the first time he talked to me (hey, I dare ANYONE not to be intimidated by a big black guy talking to your lonesome self in a corner of a room). Of course, after two minutes he had me smiling because he has a very kind, contagious smile. He also got on my good side because he was one of the first people to notice how the lamest idiots are drawn to me in that class and always decide to stand TOO close to me. We bonded over that.
He refers to me as "Mija" (literally "my daughter," but it's interchangeable with "sweetie/sweetheart") a term I DETEST hearing from my latino peers... because I find it slightly condescending... also stupid, because I'm not anyone's daughter but my mother's and father's. I'm fine hearing it from the older crowd, though. This guy is about ten years my senior, so I find it ok, kind of sweet... as if my uncle were talking to me.
Anyway, so we were talking about how packed class is and how frustrating it is to be so crammed in a class that requires aggression. One girl mentioned how it wasn't necessarily the "aggressive" nature of the class, since she was once in a Zumba class where two Mexican chicks went at it after one chick swatted the other in the face in the middle of a dance move.
My cool pseudo-uncle then commented how he takes it easy, and if there's a person too close to him in class, he'll just kick a little lower.
Me: And yet you encourage ME to kick the people in front of me...
Him: That's because people just... randomly stand directly in front of you and give you no room to kick. It's like you're a magnet!
Me: For idiots!
Him: Nah. I think it's just that you have such a sweet and innocent face, they know you won't hurt them if they invade your space. They feel safe with you. It's your innocent face.

I was speechless.
Nicest thing anyone has said to me in a very long time. And from a dude? In front of a group of people who agreed (and in a class where I punched a bitch a couple of weeks ago?!)? Ufff! Too long (ok, I get the corny cheesy shit form guys trying to get in my pants, but that doesn't count, 'cause it's insincere).
I didn't think being called "innocent" would make my day, but it did (Finally! Someone can see past my façade!).

On my drive home, a (hot) cop smiled at me... of all people... and that just made me feel like a champ.

I was basically the female version of Tom from 500 Days of Summer right after he bangs Summer... when he does the dance number... I just didn't bang anyone (but I did sing and dance in my car. They played Pitbull... everyone knows I'm a sucker for that guy. It's in my blood to dance to his beats), but the world did seem perfect and all that shit.

I came home, and took the folks to the airport... because, it turns out we managed to fix their flights so they can be out in Florida tomorrow morning for their little cruise thing.
I returned home, and About a Boy was on TV.

SO...
THE WORLD IS FUCKING AWESOME right now.
:)
I'm a very happy (innocent and sweet!) girl.

No comments: