Sunday, June 12, 2011

Rotting pipes

I am INCHES away from being convinced to go to Hometown.
Crazy, I know... and yes, it merits a strong slap across my face... but I can't help it.
Mom talked to her brother-in-law this morning, since we were informed that there's some sort of drama going on with our home in Mexico. Mom called to see what was up with all that bologna.
After telling her what the issue was (apparently there's a leak on the roof with the potential to wreak havoc if left unchecked... just what we wanted to hear. Also, our pipes are rotting away... HAAA! And that's with you NOT knowing what's going on in my personal/sentimental life, buddies), he then proceeded to tell her about the current gossip going down in Hometown.
All funny stuff that I really couldn't care less about, but then he added the fact that apparently everyone misses us. Men, women, children, they've all asked about us since we tend to be down there by now. They can't believe we're not heading down there this summer.
This crushed my heart.
I hate these people and they talk so much shit which usually has me in tears or in trouble with my folks... but I also love them. It's so, so strange. I can't imagine myself loving everyone in Vegas, but people from this damn tiny, gossiping town are buried in my heart. It's disgusting.
Anyway, my uncle spent the rest of the time trying to convince Mom to go to Hometown (according to him, there isn't any more shady shit going on, unlike last year. He said it's hot in the afternoons, but at night it's cool, with a slight breeze-- we all know how much I love a "slight breeze," especially because of the things I associate with it. He said people are starting to show up, especially since there's going to be an "important" quinceañera the first week of July. All good shit that can almost persuade me to drop by for at least two weeks).

I close my eyes and I can just see myself walking towards the living room after showering in the morning. It's the strongest image in my Mexico memories. Walking out of the blue bathroom, walking down the pink hallway, and walking toward the living room as I see the yellow kitchen in the distance.
The colors are so bright... maybe that's why I can't get the image out of my head.
I can also SMELL Hometown. The freshness. Wet dirt getting dried by the sunny morning.

Ohhhhh! Mexic-ohhhh! WHY do you do this to me?!

I give everyone permission to slap me if I mention going to Hometown ever again.
I can't.
I can't. I can't. I can't!
It's dangerous... it's lonely... and I'm going to want to leave after two days.
No Mexico. No. No. No.

:(

No comments: