Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A little bit of nothing

It's no secret I get most of my depressing songs form Native Minnow. He has an eye for songs I'd probably never find on my own.
He has a new mix posted on his blog, and once again, while I like all the songs on the list, I found one that got me immediately. The melody, the lyrics, everything:

Thanks for Nothing by Middle Brother (Just the title told me this song was going to be a winner. AND, I'm a middle child... so you know I sympathize with anything relating to middle kids)

I got off of the plane ok
Now I have a city to myself--
The strangers in the coffee shops, the sidewalks, and the way the evening smells.
But none of it distracts me in the ways that I had planned...
Or brings me back my smile like I was hoping.
Now there's a distance between me and the world that's offering its hand...
And I have you to thank for that, thanks for nothing.
(story of my motherfucking life RIGHT THERE. When I first heard this, I froze in place to listen, 'cause I could have sworn I wrote those words in my paper journal at some point)

It's probably raining off in London if it's snowing here in Nashville Tennessee.
Oh, I hope he's taking care of you, and showing you you're where you need to be.
But I don't want you to leave him once he gives himself away,
The way a match looks after it is done glowing. (This simile of the match squeezed my heart. It's fucking depressing!)
Oh, you don't know how it feels to think you'll never be the same...
And I have you to thank for that, thanks for nothing.
(the way his voice trails off at the end of this "thanks for nothin'" makes me frown and fight some tears, actually. His voice is SO SAD!)

Now the only girls I meet all look for hearts that they can fix,
But mine is more like a kid that has gone missing.
Now there's a pretty girl in front of me I know I won't let in.
And I have you to thank for that, thanks for nothing.
Oh, I have you to thank for that, thanks for nothing.
(Just imagine that "girls" is "boys" in my situation)


So yeah, I spent the day listening to the depressing mix... holding this song on repeat for a couple... dozen times.

Then I remembered I wanted to be happy... so I went ahead and began cooking for everyone.
As I pulled out some eggs, I remembered what day it is-- the first day of summer, aka Summer Solstice.
Thanks to being an obnoxious little girl who was WAY too fond of Nickelodeon, I remembered a little bit of knowledge "Stick" (DON'T act like you don't know what I'm talking about! "Write to me, Stick Stickly, P.O. Box 963, New York City, New York state, 10108") passed on to me-- today is one of two days of the year where you can make an egg sit "upright."

I killed an hour and a half fucking around with eggs. Even Mom joined me (Rafa didn't, because he couldn't do it... the impatient loser).
Started out easy... but I'm ambitious.
See all those eggs on the left? I was hellbent on getting ALL of them upright.
My masterpiece.
Science is wonderful.
And like that, my mood got chirpy again.
I love being a ten year old girl.

No comments: