Sunday, September 5, 2010

AnoMALIE in movies

I've had a longass day.
I don't say that because I was being a productive member of society. Far from it.
I have a rolled right ankle and tendonitis on my left knee, so I have spent the weekend trying to  stay off my feet for as long as possible.
This resting period culminated today, with a day dedicated solely to the Tennis Channel while studying some more GRE shit... while lying on my stomach, on my bed.
So uh, to tell you the truth, I got nothing today.
I just saw some hot Spanish boys running around, sweating and grunting... while I worked on ratios and antonyms.

Well, no, I do have something to talk about:
I spent my Saturday watching movies.
The order?
-Amelie
-Pan's Labyrinth
-La Môme (La Vie en Rose)
and, just so I wouldn't end the day bawling my ass off,
-Love Actually.

And I realized this makes the perfect combination of who I am as a person.

If I could describe my heart and soul in movies, the first three of the list have me covered... the fourth only slightly because I, like Natalie, can out-swear a sailor ("Where the fuck is my fucking coat?!" If that isn't me, then I don't know what is)... and I did live in the ghetto in my younger years... and I too have thighs as large as tree trunks... and Hugh Grant films are possibly my guiltiest pleasure.
Ok, so this movie basically covers my humor.
I also have some of Laura Linney's character... since my fucking phone never stops ringing when I'm out (although the person blowing up my phone is not my mentally challenged sibling, but rather, my extremely possessive mother). And I also harbor these super long crushes on dudes but refuse to act on them... and they never work out... ok, yeah, c'est moi.

Then Amelie... well, that's my namesake, kind of.
yeah, I once had that haircut.
It all started after my first haircut... well, the first time I ever cut it in a bob, and I was hiding at school. Freshman in college... trying to hide between classes... not the best thing. Then my bestie tried to make it all better. We passed notes in Bio lecture.
Chase: Your hair looks cute!
Me: I look like a fucking dumbass!
Chase: Now you're like... a Mexican version of Amelie!
Me: Pshh... yeah... a fucking... anomaly... I'm fucking A(NO)melie!
And bam... the name was born.
And as far as the character goes... ufff... well, it's nearly... I'd say it's 85% me. ONCE again, there's that crush issue... the stratagems... it's my calling card, dude. Ha!
I even do the traveling gnome shit.
And the part where she kind of... keeps to herself... yeah. I'm also too concerned about fixing other's lives, that I tend to neglect my own.
The idiosyncrasies... :)
Yeah, I feel super identified with this movie.
Oh Amelie! I LOVE YOU!!

Now the sad part of my personality: Ofelia (Pan's Labyrinth).
I identify with her because, well, growing up I had to invent my own world while living under not-so-awesome circumstances.
I had this crazy imagination while growing up, that even to this day my siblings bug the shit out of me about.
Ruffles: So, do you still want to be a horse when you grow up?
Me: Hey, fuck, I was a kid! I said I was a horse for that moment that we were playing!
Ruffles: Yeah, just like that time you asked us what "meat" was.
Me: I WAS ACTING!! I was trying to make you guys think I had lost my memory after you fucking hit me in the head! At that moment Mom was cooking, and she asked me if I wanted meat, and I asked "What is meat?" You didn't understand because you didn't use your goddamn imagination... your creepy ass was too busy trying to be an adult!
And shit like that... I get worked up, sorry.
Anyway, back to Ofelia, that girl breaks my heart.
Lucky for me, I don't have a terrible end like that.
That story crushes my heart... absolutely crushes it. And the music... that little lullaby... I can turn away from the screen when Ofelia dies... but the little music plays, and I still bawl my ass off.

Then we have Édith Piaf... I can't... it's... yeah, she was incredible. I hope to one day have a heart like that. That woman was strong.
Also, she wasn't considered beautiful... which to me is like, "Umm, hello, my name's AnoMALIE, I'd like to join your club."
Her advice at the very end led me to cry... uncontrollably.
Right here, man ::points at heart:: right here.
I tried to ease up on my cynicism after that... which only lasted a few hours... but still, it made me a little better.

I don't know... it's hard to explain... but when these four movies are combined... it's straight up AnoMALIE'S Essence.
There's comedy, tragedy, love, music, betrayal, hope... cussing. It's me.

(I promise to stay away from injuries from now on. These entries suck)

No comments: