Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nueve

So I was going to be thoughtful and somber, considering today marks the 9th anniversary of that horrible day in U.S. history, but...
Ok, no, I'll keep it short and still pay my respects:
Nine years ago today, I woke up at 5:30 in the morning and turned on the radio like every other morning.
I was groggy and moody like always, and then I heard them interrupt the morning zoo. At first, they thought it was a joke.
"Some dope crashed into the World Trade Center."
I just thought "Well, that sucks for that poor pilot," and kept getting ready.
Then I heard them groan. They turned serious, I ran to the television.
I turned on the news channel and there it was, the second plane crashing into the second tower.
I was petrified.
We had planned to leave at noon to Fort Sill, Oklahoma for my Brother's graduation from Basic.
Sister and I had to go around from class to class to collect signatures from all 8 of my teachers and any homework they expected us to turn in the following Monday, upon my return.
Each time, the teachers would sound very upset. They somehow thought I had lost a relative in the attacks.
During lunch time, I sat at my usual table with all my friends, and we were all serious. My best friend at the time told me how they had seen the towers go down in her class. I freaked.
My brother!! He's graduating basic... fuck dude!
Mom picked me up from school after lunch.
I remember getting home and immediately turning on the news, seeing footage of people jumping out of the buildings... papers scattering everywhere.
It was the quietest any of us had ever been. It was the only time I shed a tear.

We packed up. Mom, Dad, and one of my aunts sat in the front of the truck.
Sister and I were forced to be in the camper... and we drove off for Fort Sill.
The entire drive out there, I remember all I really did was read George Orwell's 1984... novel we had started to read in English class and only homework I really had (besides some crazy homework for AP U.S. History involving... dam power. That thing I don't really remember). I finished the book.
I have never been so creeped out.
I, like many Americans, will never forget that day.
:/

Now onto the more self-centered and frivolous:
I GOT THE CAMERA OF MY DREAMS TODAY!!!
Ooooooorgasm!!!
Yes, I nearly pissed my pants.
I look at it, and I almost barf out my heart.
It's AWESOME!!
And oddly enough, it was 9 years ago that I learned I wanted something like this. I was starting out in photography class and I thought "One day... one day..."
I am absolutely smitten!

No comments: