Friday, October 15, 2010

Being Accountable

You know, in the many years I've had this blog, I've never dedicated an entire entry to my best friend.
Something always tells me I'm repeating myself when I'm about to start writing. But I just checked, and no, the most I did was write two sentences apologizing for waiting an extra day to wish her a happy birthday.
Well...
I'm a little worn out by all the studying... which in turn makes me very sentimental, and I'm rarely sentimental (ha!) so I feel it's the right time to make an entry dedicated to my best friend in the whole wide world:
Ms. Kelley... aka Chase.

This girl... I don't know where to begin. She is, seriously, the most amazing person on Earth.
I have no idea what I did to deserve such an incredible person for a best friend. Of the few times we've ever had a problem, I've always been the dumb cunt at fault. I don't know how she still agrees to stick around and attempt to make me a better person.
She is the smartest person I've ever met... it's thanks to her that I graduated high school AND college. I have yet to meet someone who can score higher than her on an exam (someone who does it legitimately. None of this cheating bullshit for which our class was notorious. I did do a little better than she did in Histology lab... but that was because we spent too much of our time chatting about America's Next Top Model and my fascination over our TA's huge ass... and she was also busy giving me lessons on slang terms used for sexual acts... I mean, back then I didn't even know what a "Pearl Necklace" was. THAT'S how difficult I made the task for the poor girl. This was all too distracting for my friend). Kelley's a badass, motherfuckin' genius! :)

Not only do I have to thank her for helping me with the academic aspect of my life (and the fact that I even know how to speak English. My English prior to meeting her was ghetto-tastic, not refined whatsoever), but it's also thanks to her that I retained a lot of my sanity.

Very typical of Kelley, she is constantly encouraging me to follow my heart, not what every other person expects out of me. I discovered my love for writing thanks to her (yeah, that one ex-professor guy piqued my interest in the class, but Kelley was the one to register first and convinced me it would be a fun project), and she helped me understand that it was fine to stick with artsy stuff, even if my parents thought it was a stupid hobby.
You like writing? You're great at it, do it! You like drawing? You do pretty work, DO IT! You like photography? I like your photography, do it!
I feel horrible that she has to be there like my Mom, gently nudging me to move on. It must get annoying.
Not only does she dish out the advice, but she follows it. She loves music, and while I would have given up on it two weeks after starting, she has stuck to it since junior year of high school. She loves singing, composing, and playing instruments... and there she is, getting gigs and getting over her initial sort-of-stage fright. AND all this considering she was a "science nerd" right along with me.

She makes me laugh... hard. She doesn't go for the easy laugh, either, I have to sit there and think. She's super clever, and doesn't get exasperated by my SUPER slow nature... ever... not once... like, sometimes I wonder if she's even human, she has so much patience.
We have too many inside jokes, they're scribbled all over my high school and college notes. They're doodles, one-liners... lyrics... cartoon-strips... you name it, it's somewhere on our notes.
BE ACCOUNTABLE, SHANNA!!
:)

She's also my accomplice when it comes to my crushes.
She doesn't get irritated by my gushing, she claps like a retarded seal right along with me.
I BUMPED INTO MR. DARCY ON MY WAY TO *insert location here* TODAY!!!
Yay! :) Did you talk to him?
Yeah, but I was an idiot.
Oh, AnoMALIE... 
Each time my heart gets crushed, my incessant boo-hoo stories don't bug her-- she hears me out then takes me out to clear my mind.
It's over... MGH and I
I'm sorry :( Wanna go hiking?
My favorite is when she randomly sends me e-mails concerning my celebrity crushes ("I think he's your soul-mate" and then a link concerning James Franco... or Cristiano Ronaldo). Those make me smile.
She allows me to turn into a squealing twelve-year old girl.

She knows every single one of my secrets, and she doesn't judge me... ever.
She goes about her life, wears whatever she feels like wearing, does whatever she feels like doing, and she doesn't give a fuck what others might think of her... while still being friendly to the jerkoff talking shit. She has tried to pass this along to me, but I'm far too irascible. I'll bite a person's head off if they so much as insinuate anything negative about me... that, or cry, both of which get me nowhere and in a shitty mood quick.

But above all, I've always been awed by her incredible strength.
I still remember the day I called her, somewhat irritated with my calculus homework, our senior year of high school. I had skipped school for senior ditch day, 03-03-03, but remembered Kelley was going to go to class. I called her that afternoon and remember thinking her voice sounded weird. When I asked, her response was simple: Well... my mom died. 
She went to school the day her mom died... a day when nearly NO senior attended, went through the motions, and had me calling her that afternoon. Instead of telling me to fuck off-- which I think anybody else would, and rightfully so-- she was right there, helping me with a mundane related-rates homework question. When I asked if she wanted me to stop and give her time to herself, her response was "No, I want to keep busy. I need to keep busy."
We both sat there sniffling and trying to iron out my problem, MY problem.

I'm selfish, mean, catty, and ungrateful when it comes to my treatment of my best friend.
I screamed at her on multiple occasions during lab times. I said some mean, straight up heart-less shit to her that she obviously never deserved. I made her cry when all she ever did for me was try to keep me from crying.
If it weren't for her, I'm sure I'd be someone far worse.

We're quirky together, and while most of the people in my life would advise me to grow up and be more structured, more serious... less awkward and weird, she allows me to be me.
I like weird patterns, improper jokes, cussing, drawing, writing, laughing, and skinny, dorky boys.
She gets me. She knows me. She accepts me.
She's the best human being I've ever come across.
She's my best friend.

Happy 25th, Kelley :)
I never say this enough, but I love you like a sister. I don't know where I'd be without you.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

You words are far too kind and to think that I'm deserving of any of them is an honor. You give me way too much credit.

Also, I'm sure you did better at all the labs than I did.. which is really funny (not funny that you did well. Funny that I didn't do awesome) given what I do now :X I was a lab slacker, dammit! (plus.. you know I imagined everything to be more difficult than it is! The things we realize too late...)


And just to reiterate-
Your art is good - whether it's writing, photography or drawing. You should do it because it gives you something to go on for. (also, I think other people would appreciate it more than you know.) Life is what we make of it. Experiences with our mutual friend have cemented that thought in my head - only you know what makes you happy and only you can make that happen. No sense in waiting on the world to change or having expectations for it to come to you. :)

And yes, Be Accountable SHANNNNNNNNNA!

AnoMALIE said...

Girl! That's only the beginning! I left out a great chunk... like the Tripping Count, for time's sake. haha
:)