Monday, October 4, 2010

Associated

I seriously underestimated the level of difficulty in finding "ivory" colored shoes.

I drove up and down the city all day today, hardly grabbing a bite to eat.
Besides the shoes, I had to get an oil change, buy some hair extensions (long story), and finally get my cosmetics from Walmart.
The oil change was a breeze, Walmart was a success, and the hair extension purchase was left for tomorrow due to the "expert" being unable to join in the hunt. The only thing I really searched for all over town (the East, West, and finally South) were the bastard shoes. Where did I find them? In the shopping center two minutes away from my house... the last fucking place I looked, of course, at the end of the day.

I could have grown increasingly disgruntled with every new place I searched... but instead, I was just... weirded out. Why? Because the entire outing turned into a giant association game. How? Check it:

I was driving down the 15 in order to get to the car dealership for the oil change. For some reason, I don't know why, a particular billboard to my left called my attention. I looked. It was Darcy's dad, the name written across the billboard in huge letters.
Whoa... how cool!
And I smiled for the first time in the day (fixing my car makes me miserable).

Once at the dealership, I had to sit around and wait while the mechanics worked on my car. I was inexplicably cheerful for the hour and twenty minutes.
Once my car is ready, I get my invoice. Name of the mechanic who worked on my car? Darcy (Darcy's real name, not the actual name "Darcy"). Those five letters (yeah, his real name has 5 letters) making me smile again.
Well... that was creepy.

As I shopped for my makeup, I was lost for a minute (yes, I'm one of those people who *sort of* sometimes panics a little when she realizes she's lost in a store). As I went past every aisle in search for my sister, a mom (what I assume) was sort of screaming at her kid. I was a little curious to see this kid getting chewed out, and couldn't help but look when I heard the voice get closer. There, in the CoverGirl aisle, was the lady screaming at her daughter... and my sister standing next to them. What language was the Mom screaming at her kid in? German.
Jesus Christ... are you serious?
This time I raised my eyebrows in surprise... 'cause come on, that German mom would have punched me had I smiled.

I spent my entire afternoon having random occurrences trigger Darcy in my head. Whether it was his actual last name plastered on a billboard (seriously... something like that would happen to me), or seeing an image of Jack Skellington in the candy aisle of Wallmart (... or black nail-polish in the make-up aisle... hey! Don't judge me! So I like a dude who went through the whole black nail polish thing. At least he didn't go through the cocaine thing the boys of Hometown went through a couple of years back... at least, not that I know of), dude was in my head all day. And while I thought it was eerie, it did make me smile, even if it often was out of... a sense of melancholy.

I wonder if anything out there reminds others of me... you know, just randomly. I've only heard it once:
So, I was listening to the radio, and I realized, each time I listen to "Poker Face" I think of you! :)
Why... thank you, missy... I guess. The song's about being sexually frustrated... but OK! Anything that makes you think of me!

I just... I hope no one thinks of me when they see purple... or spandex. I blocked that memory out of my head, others should block it out of theirs... for the freakin' sake of everybody.

2 comments:

Mooney said...

I didn't mean it in a bad way, I had only listened to the song like twice and they mentioned poker a lot...so I thought of you cause you were like, addicted to it at the time. LOL.

I also think of you when I see Gnomes. :]

AnoMALIE said...

:) I know, but it's still funny (and I'm still sort of addicted to poker... a little)

and yes, I shouldda known about the gnome! (Creepy coincidence in that is that Microsoft always autocorrects my name to just that: gnome. Weird)