Thursday, October 28, 2010

Reality bites

Sometimes... reality sucks so bad, you just have to invent your own.

When I was little, my favorite store was Mervyns. Since the age of about five, I can remember my favorite section being the home section.
I could stand there for hours, imagining myself a life where I could own the stuff there.
I'd select silverware, towels, place mats, plates, and even mugs quite enthusiastically. What would it be like to have these things? 
Then I'd go to the bedroom area, and get totally lost in my day-dream. I'd touch the mattresses, sit on each one. I'd imagine what comforters and sheets I'd use on my bed. I would hug pillows to see how soft they could be.
I would have a girly room... with lots and lots of pillows. I'd throw myself on my bed after a long day at school... my friends could come over, hang out in my room without interruption... we could finally have a slumber party. We'd stay up late, giggling and laughing. 
I imagined owning a room.
It was my favorite thing to do.

Then I'd go home to my reality: the small living room, the television, and the couch. Come night-time, Sister and I would have to set up our sleeping area. We would remove two sheets and two pillows from Rafa's bed to bring them to the living room. The pillows were a different size and color. One pillow case was white with grey clovers, the other was green with pink stripes. One sheet was white with pink rosebuds, the other was white with brown squares.
Sister and I would sleep on top of the white with brown-squares sheet, and cover ourselves with the pink rosebud sheet. Sister would sleep on the green pillow, I would sleep on the grey-clovers.
Sister and I would hug, close our eyes... and squeeze the other when she'd be startled by an outside noise.
That was our routine... that was our reality.

While "Catfish" didn't relate to this exactly, I definitely understand why anyone would want to invent their own world.

Watching this film bummed me the fuck out.

No comments: