Tuesday, October 26, 2010

To Get Her

One of my most dreaded assignments in college was a twenty page research proposal for Evolution.
I remember being scared as fuck because:
1) The professor was intimidating as hell. He had a really strong Spanish accent, which only helped to spread more terror in my heart, since his tone sounded more like my angry Mom. I did not want to disappoint this man.
2) The proposal was worth 30 percent of my final grade.
3) What the fuck was I going to try to research that would take up a minimum of twenty pages to explain?

After a near panic attack, I finally decided to focus on the aspect of monogamy amongst animals. My argument was something along the lines of:
Why does the (scientific name of a certain Falcon that exhibits monogamous behavior) chose monogamy?
Something like that.
It was hard as shit to find any freakin' animal that is exclusively monogamous, and not losing focus was also difficult (I continuously found data relating to how slutty some birds could be. That shit would shift my attention entirely. I still remember how there's a femlae bird out there that purposely makes three or four males think they're the father of her young... just so there will never be a lack for food. How fucking ingenious is that?! Sounds like a couple of humans I know...).
Results?
This bird was monogamous because it helped them raise stronger young that would ultimately reach adulthood. It was less costly to do that as opposed to just hittin' it and quittin' it with as many females as possible, hoping the babies would be raised right by their mom, so to speak (haaaa! It was so difficult to use proper terminology for that. My rough draft was sprinkled with ghetto-talk which made the professor call me in to his office to go have a talk with him. The man was genuinely concerned).
I aced it.

Anyway, this has also been the way I see human interaction. I often wonder why I expect monogamy from a dude, when it's... sort of counterintuitive, at least on the dude's part, to stay with only one person. Considering the gestation period of a human baby and all that shit... why waste your time with only one girl? Go fuck a ton of chicks that are willing to have you, and be the happy animal you were meant to be. Spread those babies worldwide, sweet-thang.
...
...
But when it's a person you love? A woman and a man you thought loved each other so "truly and deeply," they had stayed together long enough to make anyone believe it was the real deal.
Why is it so devastating to find out one was cheated on? Why do I have the urge to hug and console the poor woman... and punch, kick, and spit at the cheating son of a bitch?

I guess this is the part that makes me a human and not just an animal.
The feelings involved.

I don't know, I'm not making sense right now.
I'm just sad, and confused, and angry... I'm not too rational.
All I know is that I'm that much reluctant to ever get involved with anyone... to believe in anyone.

3 comments:

Mooney said...

THIS.

Kelley said...

Because it's a sense of decency. If someone wants to stray they should bring it up and break it off. To do anything else is morally wrong and they should get what ever ill feeling that can be hurled at them. They were undeniably selfish- like the toddler with his or her hand in the cookie jar despite being told no.
There are good males out there... apparently they come from the midwest... ;) Even if they don't meet previous height requirements.

AnoMALIE said...

Oh, Kelley, I miss our chats outside random science buildings where we'd scare people with our random thoughts :(