Monday, November 26, 2012

Anything from you

"You know I'd do anything for you, AnoMALIE."

I felt like the biggest asshole in the room.
Each new word coming out of his mouth made me feel like a heavier dirtbag than before.

I didn't know what to do.
Should I tell him to shut up? How do I do that nicely? What if it backfires and he gets angry... or offended... and he chews me out, right here in front of everyone? Yeah, I deserve it... but I'm not ready for that. Not right now. Should I act like I can't hear him? Should I ignore him? Damn it, dude!

I tried acting as if I couldn't hear him, but he leaned in to continue... pouring out his... uh... sentiments.
"I do anything just so I can make you happy, you know... and of course I know you're unobtainable..."
At this point, I felt like my heart was getting ripped out.
FUCK! Please stop... please, please, please stop. You know the deal. I told you from the get-go. PLEASE. No more. It hurts that I have to do this to you.

This was where I finally physically moved my body so I could give him my back. I stared at my other friend, giving him my most pleading look... and noticing he gave me a "Aren't you... uh... weren't you... talking to him?" look, which eventually turned to an "Ok, I got you. Here, I'll make it look like I have something very important for you to do" look.
He bailed me out, and I left the poor lovesick boy talking to himself.

This all started because I told him I'd be unable to finish my beer-- 3/4 of the bottle. He drank from it and said he'd finish it.
Me: Have fun getting sick, bro!
Him: I don't care... if it's coming from you.
And then the awkwardness started.
The night ended with him getting extremely self-depricating... which is always fun (being sarcastic here).


This makes me sad for two reasons:
1. The guy is a nice guy, and I do in fact, get along with him very well, since we have many things in common. HOWEVER, I see it as more of a relative-type relationship. I like him like I do a close cousin who understand where I'm coming from. There is NO physical attraction, nor will there ever be... it's like incest to me. But he is a very good friend. A very very good friend, shit, he's straight up a good PERSON.
2. I realize I play his role as far as my own heart is concerned. I imagine Darcy must feel similar to what I feel towards this friend of mine. It's... you like the person, but not in the romantic sense, regardless of how many nice things he/she may do, or how beautiful he/she will speak of you. It's just never going to happen.
It's a shitty feeling.

Imagine how life would be like if... if Darcy ever said anything remotely close to that... remotely close. I'd be... it'd be incredible. Entirely impossible.

No comments: