Friday, December 3, 2010

HitNRun

"In 1944 Spain, a lonely girl encounters a faun in an ancient maze and must complete three dangerous tasks to achieve immortality." -Dish Network's description of one of my favorite movies.
Gee... I think I know why I love that movie so much.
For some reason, after bawling my ass off with the end of Pan's Labyrinth for the seventh time (might be more, I've officially lost count), I was in the mood to finish off one of the many essays required by the schools I'm applying to.
Well, after four hours of re-editing shit and staring blankly at the computer screen, I was about to call it a night a little before 2 in the morning.
Then I hear my phone go off.
Ding... I know you want me. You know I wa-unt cha (I know it says "want ya" but this is how I sing it, ok?)! I know you want meeee!
Me: Hello?
JC: Que passion, mushasha? (One of the many people I've argued with over the pronunciation of CH vs SH. I really stress my "Ch"s, 'cause how I see it: How do you say "Chicken" vs "Shiver?" "Chair" vs "Share?" Therefore, I will say "CH- cago" ok. Good? Now quit making fun of me)
Me: JC? Are you ok?
JC: I'm grrrrreat!

Homeboy was drunk-dialing me. Now, I've had plenty of drunken moments with JC (like that notorious night last December where I was beyond shit-faced), but this was strange.
He was saying how he was going through some photos and saw some with me in them, and some of my comments on some of our mutual friends' photos.
JC: How have you been? I realized I hadn't spoken to you in a long time.
Me: Eh. All stressed, as usual. Applying to schools and getting all confused. How about you? Pacemaker told me you have a little girlfriend now!
JC: Pues si, chinga'os! I got tired of waiting for you.
Me: Ha-Ha. No me hagas reír, que es de noche (Don't make me laugh, it's late at night).
JC: O que la chingada! Ya vas a empezar con tu "I didn't know..." (Ah, fuck! You're gonna start with your "I didn't know..." And he mocked my voice). Me caga! (It irritates me! Of course, his is much more vulgar)
Whoa... are we really gonna do this right now?
Me: What... are you talking about?
JC: Te espere. Pero NO! Allí estabas terca con el pendejo de mi hermano. (I waited for you. But NO! There you were, stubborn with my dumbass brother)
Me: Well... I've always seen you like my little brother. And... well... we all know I had a thing for MGH. I don't homie-hop like that.
Immediately this image popped into my head:
story of my life.
(back in like... '05 this one friend posted it on my Myspace and I remember thinking "Well, that would really suck, now wouldn't it?" I don't know why he did it, but it was funny nonetheless)
JC: Te presente a mis mejores amigos... quien hace eso?! (I introduced you to my best friends... who does that?!)
Me: I thought it was a friendly thing...
JC: Y todas las veces que te saque? La vez que nos "perdimos" cuando regresabamos de Monterey Bay (and all the times I took you out? That time we got "lost" getting back from Monterey Bay). You really thought I got lost? And all the times always choosing to go down the scenic route? Porque haria eso? (why would I do that?) Te deje que me raparas! ("I let you shave my head!" Which is true. I did a very poor job, but he wanted me to do it)
Me: ...
JC: You're blind! Pierdes el tiempo esperando que el pendejo que menos te quiere cambie su manera de ser (You waste your time waiting for the dumbass who least likes you to change his ways). You know since when I've liked you?
Me: ...
JC: Since that time in your kitchen when I was 13. Remember? When you asked me what I wanted.
Me: And you gave me that really corny-weirdo answer that creeped me out?
JC: YA VES?! (SEE?!)
(For the record, we were alone in the house and he walked in to the kitchen where I was in my PJs-- Mom's old dolphin shorts and a wife-beater-- pouring myself some grapefruit juice. I had the fridge open, and I asked him "What do you want?" while pointing to the drinks in the fridge. He answered "Whatever your heart wants to give me..." in the weirdest... wannabe-seductive voice, all while holding eye-contact AND raising an eyebrow. Who wouldn't get creeped out by that, especially coming from a 13 year old? Fucking Lolita in a male version. My response, if you were wondering, was "Cold water. My heart wants to give you cold water." And I stood on the other side of the kitchen table as he drank the water with a fuckin' smirk on his face... all predator-like)
JC: You're going to be alone because you're so damn stubborn and hold on to guys who don't like you! There ARE guys who like you... but you ignore them! Pendeja!

?!?!?
I was... it was like a fucking hit-and-run. Sudden and over in the blink of an eye. My critically injured ego lying on the floor.
Well... that was random...

Today, I woke up still confused and slightly upset.
It upsets me because many, MANY people told me this... about JC liking me more than a friend. But I REFUSED to believe it.
He went to Mexico for THREE DAYS last year. TO SEE YOU! WHO DOES THAT?! Are you really THAT stupid?
Did you not notice the way he looked at you? It was obvious.
And now this poor kid resents me for being so oblivious to his... well... whatever it was. Here I criticize guys for not giving me a shot and all that bullshit, and then I go off and do the same thing to a kid who totally didn't deserve my slighting. It feels horrible to be unable to reciprocate feelings for a guy who is so awesome... but I mean... there's ZERO romantic chemistry from my behalf. I just can't. He's my "brother," and that's how it's going to stay.

Anyway, I went to the gym around 2PM, and when I got out and checked my phone in the parking lot, there was a missed call from JC.
He left a voicemail.
JC: So... aqui me dice mi phone que te llamé anoche... pero no me acuerdo. Ahí perdonas la indiscrecion (So, my phone's telling me I called you last night... but I don't remember. Please forgive the indiscretion). Bye.

Nigga gon' play the amnesia card.
Ok.
Can't blame him. I would too.

I just hope he's a little less hostile next time he decides to freak me out in the middle of the night.

2 comments:

Mooney said...

HOLY SHIT. SEE!! Wow.

AnoMALIE said...

I know. I just sat there and listened to the poor kid's rant, feeling like the most horrible, clueless idiot in the world.
The wrong people always drunk-dial me :(