Wednesday, March 23, 2011

18 inches

Inner turmoil is always a great excuse to go drastic and chop off all the hair on my head.
OK, not all of the hair... I'm not down with the pixie cut (may look adorable on Michelle Williams, but on me, it'd just look butch), but A-lines are dope.

I can't say I only cut my hair when upset, in all honesty, I do it to donate.
In elementary school, my sister had a little friend going through chemo, and she was too poor to afford a wig. She'd wear a pink beanie at all times. One day, when my sister's class had a substitute teacher, he wasn't aware of this, and when it came to saying the pledge in the morning, the little girl didn't remove her cap. The teacher was furious, and removed the hat from her head himself.
The poor little girl sat crying with her little head bowed, the teacher was left speechless, the boys in the room started yelling obscenities at the teacher, and the girls consoled the crying girl while giving the sub "You're such a monster!" looks.
Her story made me want to just... rip off all my hair and give it to her.
Then, once in college, I watched the most heart-wrenching documentary on four little kids with cancer "A Lion in the House" and it messed me up real nice. I doubt I've ever cried so much.

Every time I feel a little reluctance to cut my hair, I just think of those poor kids and I don't look back.
Me, look stupid? Oh well!

So, while this is always a good reason for me to cut off my hair, the fact that I'm currently having a crisis helps. There's something renewing about cutting off eighteen inches and looking drastically different.
Pippi Longstockings who?
Right now, my braid is only 16 inches, but I'm giving it until around... April 5th to get longer. After that day, Good Bye, Pocahontas!

Hopefully that makes me feel better.
I know my mani sure didn't help in the happy department.
Since the middle finger is unacceptable at the moment
I did that polish in honor of the Tar Heels. I want them to kill in the tourney, now that UNLV, Princeton, and Notre Dame are out of the running.

In similar news (of trying to cheer up), Mom told me yesterday that if UNLV rejects me, she's going to give me a Eurotrip round 2. It'll be my "I'm a $#%@ing LOSER!" tour.
Oddly enough, the news did NOT make me smile.
:(

No comments: