Sunday, March 20, 2011

Madness!

In efforts to regain my happiness, I've really gotten into this March Madness (trade one madness for another, I suppose).
I originally did two brackets. I did my "dream" bracket... which is basically me being a dummy and going with my heart. I had UNLV going to the final FOUR... that should tell you how THAT bracket went... and how delusional I get when it comes to my "dreams." I blame that awesome HBO special on the Runnin' Rebs for this heightened sense of... whatever that was. Thanks, HBO.

I also made a second, my "Ok, this is me using my brain... and only a little bit of heart" bracket.
In that one, I let my heart dictate an outcome only when I didn't know enough about a team. I asked myself, "which team do I REALLY hate?" and that's how I predicted my "upsets." So far, I'm doing AWESOME. I'm at 99.4% YES, 99.4%. Why? I predicted the Butler/Pitt upset. Yup. I mainly did that because the last Sunday, when they seeded everybody, Rafa made a giant scene at the restaurant where we just so happened to be eating while watching the picks. Rafa screamed at the television when Pittsburg got the one seed over Notre Dame. I had this in mind when I thought "Yeah... Butler's gonna get these suckers and knock down that ego."
So that heart-stopping, unbelievable end to yesterday's game made me massacre in everyone's league.
Rafa, of course, was pretty upset about it and vented on Facebook:

Rafa: Again, sure enough, my bracket will end up in the bottom tenth percentile in the WORLD
Me: (this was while I was sitting in a parking lot, unable to check my bracket b/c my phone's browser SUCKS. But I can sure as heck check my Facebook) i'm at 90%... buahaha!
Me: correction: I'm at 98.5%. I had butler over pitt. hopefully wisconsin wins, cause I have them over ksu
Rafa: ‎98.5. Wow, so I guess you have to know nothing about college basketball to have a good bracket nowadays, haha
Me: preeeetty much... and I did that thinking about how upset you were over Pitt getting a 1 seed. I said "those scrubs ain't gettin' nowhere!" and I was right.
Me: 99.2% now. I'M A BEAST! hahaha Come onnnnn UCONN!!
(Rafa wrote back once the UCONN game was over, and sure enough, I had picked YET ANOTHER correct outcome. By now, Rafa was pretty much IRATE)
Rafa: I need to see a link to this so-called "bracket" of yours. What, do you have Richmond going to the Sweet 16?

I then linked Rafa to my ESPN bracket, where I'm RAPING in the rankings (well, when compared to the majority of the people I know. I'm still getting massacred by 30k people... of the internet). As for me "knowing nothing about college basketball," ummm, excuse me? I played basketball for the school team back in high school... I believe that gives me more street cred than a lot of people who only play ball at the park. I know how things go down, ok (nah, I don't. But I like to make myself seem important)?

Moral of the story: Let a girl make your picks. They sure as hell know more about basketball than paid professionals.
Thank you.
Now I have to collect my winnings, suckaaaaas!

No comments: