Friday, March 11, 2011

XI

Three things:
1. Today marks the three year anniversary of my arrival in Bilbao. It was the best time of my life. You can't see me right now, but I just swooned.
Ohhhhhh Spain.

2. Japan.
I was on-line when I was notified of the breaking news.
It saddened me to watch all the footage live. It was horrible and what nightmares are made of. What made me... well, it made me sad, but it also made me lose hope in humanity, was how many of the people on my Facebook were reacting... especially the very distasteful jokes they were making.
THEN, while I was watching up until about 2:30 in the morning, all I could really think was "Uh oh... Dad is going to frustrate me tomorrow..."
Why?
Because Dad ALWAYS mentions how "The end is near" or how "Christ is coming!" whenever a natural disaster occurs. He traumatized me as a child because of this.
Whether it was an electrical storm, a hail storm, a flood, or an earthquake, Dad ALWAYS brought up "end of the world!" being VERY near.
What three year old wants to hear that? I was lucky that Mom has always been a cranky Catholic and keeps Dad's Fundamentalist Christian-self under (some) control. I'm sure if Mom wouldn't have been around to roll her eyes whenever Dad proclaimed Christ's second coming, I'd be quite the... weirdo.

Anyway, true to my suspicion, I was woken up by Dad saying "CHRIST IS COMING!!" after turning on the television and seeing the news. I walked over and watched him trying to act like a preacher (SO irritating. I think it may be the reason why I'd rather be shot than join any protestant denomination. Dad has made me dislike the guys). What I did tell Dad was "Well... it was the end of the world for those hundred of people who were killed, that's for sure."
It's a hassle I doubt very many people have to deal with. It makes me angry, but oddly enough, it always leaves this sinking feeling in my gut.

Now I just have to avoid him for a week or so... until he notices the world is still turning and the sun is still rising.

3. It has been decided. I'm going to the party.
I found a flier for it... :)
SEE what I've been having to deal with for the last... 4 months?!
I now understand why I was invited: two of the three people celebrating like me. Only one wants to see me dead... who is, sadly, the main character of the night.

I'm also going because D ran into problems with Twiggy. Twiggy, surprise-surprise!, doesn't want to accompany D to the party.
My peaceful meditation (read: reading of my e-mail) was disturbed by a very angry Sister screaming at her phone. Twiggy was on the other end... and things were getting NASTY. I've never heard D put Twiggy in her place like that.
Anyway, since I saw my sister so worked up and nearly in tears, I agreed to accompany her to the party. I'm kind like that.

So, I have spent the last hours trying to mentally prepare for this outing. I just KNOW I'm going to come home an emotional wreck.
It comes with the territory of being socially awkward. I have to keep reminding myself that "everything will be ok. Breathe, dude, breathe.... and speak up... and smile." Social anxiety really, REALLY sucks.
The things I do when I love people (even if we fight like cats and dogs).
I do find solace knowing this is what I have to look forward to:
This is why I get sloshed when I visit this guy's house.
Yeah.
Happy weekend.

No comments: