Friday, May 4, 2012

Gotta Fight

I've shed at least one tear every single day in May so far.
I knew this month was going to suck.
...

My first introduction to English music was thanks to MTV... during spring breaks and summer breaks of my elementary school days. Those were the only times we were allowed to watch whatever we wanted, and that was always something other than the Spanish channel. Mom would ONLY watch the Spanish channel, so we were fed up with that shit.
During school breaks, we'd freely watch MTV without adult supervision because Mom and Dad would be working. We'd be locked in the house until their return, at about three in the afternoon.
Those days were back when MTV still played music videos.
Video my siblings and I would be most captivated by?
"(You Gotta) Fight for the Right (to Party)," by the Beastie Boys.

No, I'm not claiming that now because of current events, I'm just telling the truth.
We'd sit there and laugh with the video... because all this time, we had seen rap performed by black people. All of a sudden we had these three goofy-lookin' white kids rapping and being silly... the total opposite of what we were used to, and we liked it... a lot.

As with everything in my life, what attracted me most was "the cute guy." The cute guy was Adam Yauch.

MCA was MY dude. And it will continue to be like that always.


The Beastie Boys rock.
MCA rocked. Solid dude.

He will be sorely missed.

1 comment:

Native Minnow said...

I've been listening to the B Boys since Friday. Sucks.