Monday, February 18, 2008

Para Llorar, Vol. 2

In honor of President's Day (it is President's Day.... right? I lose track of time now that I'm out of school. I don't like it one bit!) let's continue with my
List of SAD Spanish Songs:
(Same rules as in volume 1 apply)

Amar y Querer - José José
"Casi todos sabemos querer, pero pocos sabemos amar. Es que amar y querer no es igual. Amar es sufrir, querer es gozar."
"El que quiere pretende vivir, y nunca sufrir… y nunca sufrir."
"El que ama no puede pensar, todo lo da… todo lo da. El que quiere pretende olvidar y nunca llorar… y nunca llorar. El querer pronto puede acabar… el amor no conoce el final."

(This one hurts because it helps differentiate between those who simply "like/lust" over those who "love," giving examples between people who "like" and those who "love." People that "love" end up losing. It makes me watery-eyed each time I hear it. Damn José José and his sad ballads)

**Casi Un Bolero – Ricky Martin
"Suenan las campanas de mi mente… que tristemente suenan por mi."
"La tristeza que te canto se la va llevando el viento."
"Pongo tu foto sobre mi piel… suena en mi corazón, casi un bolero."

(This song is italicized because, while the lyrics manage to make me frown a little, the music is mainly what makes me want to wail. It's... just... a fantastic orchestral arrangement. Even if you don't know Spanish, the music will get you to frown, at least. The song just talks about a lonely guy, I guess he too has lost his lover, and how everything reminds him of her. So in his heart, he sort of hears a bolero, and he sings along to it. Ah yes, the latin man, such a romatic when he's not too busy bossing the wife around or making her crank out babies... bitter much? Hell. Yes.)

*Cielo Rojo - Various Artists (The song is so popular, many artists have taken to sining it. My personal favorites include Alejandro Fernandez, Luis Miguel, and Pepe Aguilar)
"Solo sin tu cariño voy caminando, voy caminando y no se que hacer. Ni el cielo me contesta cuando pregunto por ti, mi bien.
No eh podido olvidarte desde la noche, desde la noche en que te perdí. Sombras de duda y celos solo me envuelven pensando en ti."
"Deja que yo te busque y si te encuentro, y si te encuentro vuelve otra vez. Olvida lo pasado, ya no te acuerdes de aquel ayer."
"Mientras yo estoy dormido, sueño que vamos los dos muy juntos a un cielo azul. Pero cuando despierto, mi cielo es rojo... me faltas tu."
"Y aunque yo sea culpable de aquella triste, de aquella triste separación, vuelve por dios tus ojos, vuelve a quererme, vuelve mi amor."

(So this guy admits to f'ing up in the relationship. He's asking her to come back. He even mentions how he dreams that he's walking along with the girl towards a blue sky, but when he wakes, the sky is red and she's missing. Poor lovelorn man... I would probably take a dude back if he said this kind of stuff to me though, I'm weak like that)

**Donde Estará Mi Primavera?** - Marco Antonio Solís
"Yo te debo tanto, tanto amor que ahora te regalo mi resignación. Se que tu me amaste, yo pude sentirlo. Quiero descansar en tu perdón.
Voy hacer de cuenta que nunca te fuiste, que haz ido de viaje y nada más.
Y con tu recuerdo, cuando este muy triste, le haré compañía a mi soledad."
"Quiero que mi ausencia sean las grandes alas con las que tu puedas emprender ese vuelo largo de tantas escalas, y en alguna me puedas perder."
"Yo aquí entre la nada voy hablar de todo, buscare a mi modo continuar.
Y hasta que los años cierren mi memoria, no me dejare de preguntar:
¿Donde estará mi primavera? ¿Donde se me a escondido el sol? Que mi jardín olvido, y el alma me marchito
."

(This song should come with a warning! I can't even read the lyrics without getting choked up. I've come to get sentimental with this song when I think of guys... but especially when I think of those who have departed, like my grandma and now grandpa. The lyrics that mention how one won't think that the other has "left," but instead "gone on a trip" get me because that's exactly how I got over my grandmother's passing when I was 11. I've confused myself into believing she's in Mexico... and when I go to Mexico, I act like she's here in Vegas. Anyway, this song is underlined because it's one of my top 3 songs EVER. As much as I hate to admit it--because I hate being sentimental around others-- this song describes my feelings with sheer perfection. There are just days when I ask myself, and tell myself, these things. Basically, this depressed person is asking himself where his sunshine, his spring has gone... since he feels forgotten, neglected to the point where his "garden" AKA soul was forgotten and wilted. The words are too deep and beautiful to be translated properly into English. Now I'm sad.)


*Échame A Mi La Culpa - Various Artists (I like Pepe Aguilar's version)
"Sabes mejor que nadie que me fallaste. Que lo que prometiste se te olvido. Sabes a ciencia cierta que me engañaste aunque nadie te amara igual que yo."
"Lleno estoy de razones para despreciarte, y sin embargo quiero que seas feliz. Que aya en el otro mundo de en vez de infierno encuentres gloria, y que una nube de tu memoria me borre a mi."
"Dile al que te pregunte que no te quise. Dile que te engañaba, que fui lo peor. Échame a mi la culpa de lo que pase."
"Cúbrete tu la espalda con mi dolor."

(ALL the lyrics in this song cut me. Basically, he is letting his now-ex know that while she did him wrong by lying, cheating and forgetting all her promises, he still wishes her happiness here and in the "other world." He then goes as far as giving her permission to tell everyone that HE was horrible, that he would cheat on her, that he never loved her, that he was the worst. Basically, to place all blame on him. To cover her back with his pain. What a noble man, don't you think? And what a little bitch of the female if she really did go off and listen to her injured lover)

**El Me Mintió - Amanda Miguel (I love how Yuridia sings it)
"El me mintió. El me dijo que me amaba y no era verdad."
"El me mintió. No me amaba. Nunca me amo."
"El dejo que lo adorara. El me mintió, el me mintió. Era un juego y nada más. Era solo un juego cruel de su vanidad. El me mintió."
"Con el corazón destrozado y el rostro mojado, soy tan desdichada ¡quisiera morirme!"
"Mentira, ¡todo era mentira! Palabras al viento… tan solo un capricho que el niño tenía."
"De todo el amor que juraba, ¡jamas hubo nada! Yo fui solamente otra más que lo amaba."
"Mentira, ¡todo era mentira! Los besos, las rosas, las falsas caricias que me estremecían."
"Señor que tu estas en los cielos, tu que eres tan bueno, que no quede huella en mi piel de sus dedos."

(Fuck. Give me a second...
Ok...
This song's AWESOME for any girl who has been LIED TO [which would be... all of us, right?]. Basically, she finds out the dude was just lying to her. Using her. Like she was some new game for the little boy. Poor chick. While the dude knew she was falling for him, he did nothing to stop her. So now, she's just asking God to please erase all memory of him. Great song, especially each time a chick sings this, she's usually screaming and totally losing it, you know, how we all react when we find out we've been used. Now, each time I hear this, I think of poor Yuridia, and how ironically this sort of fits her situation)


En Ausencia De Ti - Laura Pausini
"Yo, como un árbol, desnuda estoy sin ti. Mis raíces se secaran, abandonada así."
(There are more lyrics, trust me, but... I'm so tired of looking [and you of reading, I'm sure]. This lyric's just one that I strongly fancy. I don't know, I have a thing for songs that use lots of metaphors. Basically, this is a very lonely girl that laments losing her guy)


Esa Noche – Café Tacuba
"No me hubieras dejado esa noche, porque esa misma noche encontré un amor. Parecía que estaba esperando tu momento de partir. Parecía haber observado, mis momentos junto a ti."
"Me abrazo el instante mismo, que tu me dijiste adiós, y no fue una gran tristeza. Fue como ir de menor a mayor."
"Tu regreso había esperado, más te veía muy feliz en los brazos de tu amada, te olvidaste tú de mí. Es ahora que recuerdas, a mis brazos vuelves ya. Seré por siempre tu amante, tu novia: la soledad."
"Si alguna vez regresas con aquella que te amo, sabes, no será lo mismo, pues también me conoció."
"Mi soledad, siempre eh pertenecido a ti."

(Funny, since I really do know a girl named Soledad. Anyway, these guys are pretty witty [hence why I love them so] and manage to make the lsitener believe this song's about a guy who finds another girl immediately after getting dumped by his chick. You start to think "What a prick! He was probably seeing another girl while being with this one that dumped him!" Towards the end, you find out this new "girl" is actually "loneliness" [English term for "Soledad," which in Spanish is also a female's name]. So, this guy's LONELY! Nice job, Cafe Tacuba! They sort of end it by saying that if he does get back with the chick that dumped him, it won't be the same, because she too got to know this so called "soledad," e.g. she too was lonely! Aw, tugs on your heart strings, right?)

Esta Triste Guitarra – Emmanuel or Pepe Aguilar
"Esta triste guitarra que suena y suena sola en la noche, es mi voz que te dice 'No me abandones, no me abandones.' "
(Once again, there are more lovely lyrics in this one, but I like this one most.This guy is giving his ex a nice serenade and he makes a metaphor [see, I love this device!] between his voice and the sound of the guitar. He's telling her to please not abandon him, and hopefully, each time she hears a guitar, she'll think of him. I wonder if that would work with metal... like... "Think of me when you play 'Raining Blood' by Slayer")

*Fuego De Noche, Nieve de Día - Ricky Martin
"Antes de que empiece a amanecer y vuelvas a tu vida habitual, debes comprender que entre los dos todo a sido puro y natural."
"Tu loca manía ha sido mía solo una vez. Dulce ironía: fuego de noche, nieve de día."
"Luces tu sonrisa mas normal; blanca, pero fría como nieve."
"Y mientras yo me quedo sin ti como un huracán, rabioso y febril. Tanta pasión, tanta osadía."
"Noche a noche en blanco sin dormir, ardo entre los pliegues de mi cama. Se que estas a punto de venir, pero solo viene la mañana."
(We all know I love this song. Each time I hear it being played, I stop dead in my tracks to listen. Anyway, this poor guy has the luck of loving a girl who is taken... and she might be a little crazy... or just really detached. He's only had her once... but he wants her again, so bad [poor Ricky]. She... well, she's just... a lady in the streets, but a freak in the bed, who scars men by only having one night stands with them and then wanting nothing to do with the fellas afterwards. In other words: My hero. J/k! All kidding aside, it's just about a guy who will never again have that one girl, so he yearns for her each night.)

Those 10 songs will do for part 2.
Happy Prez Day... I think that's what today is.

4 comments:

Mooney said...

I thought it was Memorial Day....?

AnoMALIE said...

Oh, pues, chinga'o!
Don't confuse me any more than I already am, Mooney!!
;D
You know I love ya...
But I could almost swear President's Day was today... it falls in February, doesn't it? Memorial Day is... May... ain't it?
I hate using my brain on these so-not-pressing matters. haha.

TravelinDin said...

i had NO idea it was presidents day till mimi told me when i was IMing her....she said "yeah thats why we didnt go to school"...yeah spain doesn't celebrate weird shit like the us does...i miss it!

get ready to get here! im super excited!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.