Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Regarde

"Alors, Mathilde s'adosse bien droite sur sa chaise, croise les mains sur ses genoux, et le regarde. Dans la douceur de l'air, dans la lumière du jardin, Mathilde le regarde... Elle le regarde... Elle le regarde..."
People watching has to be one of my favorite activities. People underestimate the difficulty. Seriously.
Take my sister for instance, she doesn't enjoy the activity very much. She can't sit still without saying a word. She also can't look at people without making a face... or talking shit.
I tried getting her in the habit while she was living in Spain, since her roommates were dickheads who constantly ignored her, but it wouldn't work.
Look, dude, instead of being upset about spending so much time alone, be comfortable in your loneliness. Go outside, look around you and take it all in. Sure, if you hang out at the playground near your house you might get upset... and parents might start to suspect you're some sort of predator.
But I look like such a loser... just sitting there, alone.

I'm not gonna lie, I do feel like a loser at times during the people watching... but other times, I'll find myself doing it in a room full of my friends.
Is it creepy? Eh. Maybe. But it kills time... and it's somewhat comforting to point out the similarities you might have with complete strangers... and it'll also make you feel relief, noticing the shit you don't have in common with others.
She sucks on her bottom lip when nervous just like I do... and she's Japanese!
I wonder what kind of traumatic experience led that douchebag to be so mean to others?

And when it comes to a boy I like? Well... I will look, and I'll look... and I'll look.
You never know when it'll be your last.

No comments: