Wednesday, November 24, 2010

She let go

It was the summer of 1998, but "Titanic" was still the movie to talk about.
We'd all hang out at "El Alamo" late at night, and the nights were spent playing all sorts of games.
El cinto, el doctor (not that doctor), freeze tag, el bote.
Alo liked a particular game: the Titanic game. Two of us would hold hands and violently spin in a circle... you know, that thing Rose and... Leonardo DiCaprio's character do in the movie.
After days of playing the game with only my sister and I, Alo finally got the guts to ask Rafa to spin with her.
I still remember her face... I still remember his.
He likes me, he likes me, he likes me!!
I like her, I like her, I like her!

Today finally marked the death of this relationship. The point of no return.

Alo garners a lot of male attention... I can't even begin to count the number of guys who claim to be in love with her. My brother though... he was there from the very beginning.
She once told Pacemaker that Rafa was the only guy she ever loved... and my brother, well, we all know where he stands on that.
I really, really hoped this would have a better ending. If there was one relationship I cheered for, it was this one. I saw it begin from a little kid crush of an 11-year old girl who gushed over my 14-year-old brother... to the lasting guilt of a 23-year-old woman who's bottom lip quivered at the sound of my brother's name. An 11-year-old teeny-bopper who would steal my brother's deodorant stick when he wasn't looking... to a 23-year-old woman who would take a deep breath each time she "accidentally" walked into my brother's empty bedroom.

But all chances died today.

One of the many dudes who "loves" Alo called my sister today.
Guy: Hey, so... I just got back from Atlanta... have you heard any news about... you know... Alo?
Sister: Well... just that she's in Switzerland right now. Why?
Guy: So you haven't heard about... her getting married?
Sister:... n...o...
Guy: ChildhoodFriend told me Alo went down to city hall a little before heading out to Switzerland and... married the dude.
Sister:... what a dumbass.

This news came six hours ago... and I'm still trying to process it.
Mom, Sister, and I are debating whether or not to tell Rafa. We get to pick him up at the airport tomorrow at noon... and we have no clue what to do. I mean... anyone can read I have bad news from a mile away-- I wear it on my face.
But I don't want to hurt my brother... I already did that seven years ago, when I told him Alo was cheating on him. His face turned red... he locked himself in his room... and when I walked by a couple of minutes later... I heard him sobbing... hard.

He still has this "secret" corner in his room, where he has everything she ever gave him, including letters from the time she was 14... he still has her reply to his break-up letter-- many words smudged by tears.

Stupid, stupid girl.
Didn't know how to wait.
Her vanity, his pride.
Y así termina todo.

Man... I was in such good spirits this week.
Now I have to debate whether or not to break this guy's heart on Thanksgiving weekend:
Our news to him is more painful than this... hopefully he'll be just as lit.
Of course I won't... I won't.
I'll just have to make sure to stay sober.

No comments: